free website stats program Oil Pressure scaring me | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure scaring me

keye

I have a 1997 Evo Road King........on start the oil pressure sits at 25 maybe a bit more...when hot she drops to 10 to 12 psi....hit a stop light and she goes below 10 psi, when accelerating she goes back to 10 to 12 is this a normal oil pressure for this bike...the bike has 60000 miles on her and she has never given me any greif......this weekend I am doing a 500 mile round trip and am a bit nervous any help would be appreciated also the oil light does come on when key turned but goes out with engine running and has never came on while running

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had the bike since 03 this summer installed the manual pressure guage...I also have the factory light hooked up and she comes on at the key turn and goes off after engine is running.....with the manual guage I see the pressure at 12psi where I never seen her with the light.....I have no noises coming from the engine....this road trip this weekend has me concerned.....is 12 psi in hot weather normal...its also a fresh oil change 2 weeks back....before the oil change and after the change, the pressure seems the same

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Oil Pressure scaring the **** out me

I have a 1997 Evo Road King........on start the oil pressure sits at 25 maybe a bit more...when hot she drops to 10 to 12 psi....hit a stop light and she goes below 10 psi, when accelerating she goes back to 10 to 12 is this a normal oil pressure for this bike...the bike has 60000 miles on her and she has never given me any grief......this weekend I am doing a 500 mile round trip and am a bit nervous. ..any help would be appreciated also the oil light does come on when key turned but goes out with engine running and has never come on while running

You will probably get called on using symbols for words.... Nothing left to imagination allowed.

I would ask how long have you owned the bike and if the Low oil pressure has just started?

Get back with more information and you will get good answers.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1997 Evo Road King........on start the oil pressure sits at 25 maybe a bit more...when hot she drops to 10 to 12 psi....hit a stop light and she goes below 10 psi, when accelerating she goes back to 10 to 12 is this a normal oil pressure for this bike...the bike has 60000 miles on her and she has never given me any greif......this weekend I am doing a 500 mile round trip and am a bit nervous any help would be appreciated also the oil light does come on when key turned but goes out with engine running and has never came on while running

How much below 10, you did not say. When was the last time you changed the oil. What grade oil are you using.

oil change 2 weeks back...maybe 300 miles or so...Harley 20 50 oil at idle at a street lite she falls to maybe 8 psi on acceleration she goes and stays at 12 psi... again when cold she is at 25 psi but as I ride and she gets to running temp she drops to 12psi again I have never had the oil warning lite come on after start up

If memory serves me right, My 97 evo pumped 28/36 pounds at normal operating speeds and 05/12 at idle... I don't remember it dropping off to the lower numbers you show at normal driving rpm(higher)..

I think the UNder 15# at running would be from a lot of miles on the motor... I have heard of putting in a Higher volume and pressure after-market oil pump in the EVO's ... that May solve the low oil pressure...

Now if it was a TC, that would be bad showing that low..

Heck, IT MAY run for years with that low of pressure But I would want the oil pressure Up to Where the Book says it should run..

Maybe some one will come along with the specks called out on that year EVO.

A lot depends on how Hot is the outside temp and if the engine is Over-heated, Then it might be normal to drop that low.....

Some EVO people out there will respond...
signed....BUBBIE

Evo's have a screen in the top of the oil pump that might need to be cleaned. There's a flat screw pointed down on the top of the oil pump, pull it out there's a screen down in the hole that needs to be cleaned I bet.

On the top of your case by the oil pump is the cap that covers your hydraulic lifter filter screen. Unscrew this and clean that screen. Do this every time you change the oil.

Then on the top of the oil pump are two other caps. Unscrew the "higher" (#14) one and make sure that the slider (#16) moves up and down in the port easily with no binding.

Aside from that, the specs on the EVO oil pressure at normal operating temps. and at 2000 rpms is 12-35 psi!!! Yes, that is a wide gap!

TQ

Attachments

• Hydraulic Lifter Oil Screen Cleaning.pdf
    312.6 KB · Views: 50
  • EVO Oil Pump.pdf
    445.1 KB · Views: 46
I have had a manual gauge on my '82 evo forever. Good pressure when running, drops when hot idling. Evo's have a high volume, low pressure system. Cure; don't look at the gauge when idling hot. :)

Don't always assume because it's new it works. The gauge may be wrong. Your oil may have been running at this pressure all along as your light was never on so it was never checked before.

Back