free website stats program Oil Pressure question '99 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure question '99 Ultra

The4opps1

I am new to this forum and appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Bought this bike about 6 mos ago. Had about 65k miles, but was very well maintained by the previous owner. Cold startup oil pressure is about 30lbs at 2500 rpm and idle is about 10lb. Once the bike is warmed up, at idle the pressure is barely readable, but once underway goes back up to 30lbs. It will stay like this for about 45 minutes of riding, and then drop to about 15 to 20 lbs at cruising speed (above 2500 rpm).

I recently installed a HD oil cooler and am running HD 20/50 oil. As with all things mechanical, regardless of how well taken care of, parts ware out. I'm wondering if this could be the source of the oil pressure dropping. Any thoughts/ideas/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for allowing me to post.

The early twin cams have a different oil pump. The new pump provides more flow and higher pressure, and will help cool the engine some. Just put one in my 99 roadking. Your pressures are fine

I am new to this forum and appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Bought this bike about 6 mos ago. Had about 65k miles, but was very well maintained by the previous owner. Cold startup oil pressure is about 30lbs at 2500 rpm and idle is about 10lb. Once the bike is warmed up, at idle the pressure is barely readable, but once underway goes back up to 30lbs. It will stay like this for about 45 minutes of riding, and then drop to about 15 to 20 lbs at cruising speed (above 2500 rpm).

I recently installed a HD oil cooler and am running HD 20/50 oil. As with all things mechanical, regardless of how well taken care of, parts ware out. I'm wondering if this could be the source of the oil pressure dropping. Any thoughts/ideas/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for allowing me to post.

Here is an alternative that involves changing out the oil pump:

Feuling Oil Pump and Delkron Cam Plate - Harley Davidson Community

My '03 UC started exhibiting the same type of symptoms a year or so ago that you describe here. It eventually dropped to zero oil pressure when the outer cam chain tensioner disintegrated jamming the oil pump pressure relief slider open, thereby allowing too much oil to bypass. I opened up the nose cone, cleaned up the port that the slider is in, replaced the slider with a new one from HD, installed the Baisley spring and replaced the chain tensioner. My engine is pretty stock, so I used the Baisley LMR-002 spring. If interested, you can find info about the Baisley spring here:

Baisley Hi-Performance Oil Spring Product

After installing the spring, I switched to Mobil 1 VTwin 20W-50 full synthetic. Good results. I have since switched to Amsoil 20W-50 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil with excellent results. I suggest you check out the discussions on oils on this site. Plenty of good info here.

Good luck with your bike.

TQ

The replacement upgrade pump from HD the SE with high flow pump costs just a little more than just the fueling oil pump!

Thanks to those who took the time to share info on my question. Going to weight the options and go from there. Thanks again.

Back