free website stats program oil pressure gauge not registering | Harley Davidson Forums

oil pressure gauge not registering

peregrine

can a gauge go bad?
i have oil pressure but the gauge is not registering.
i blew air into it and the needle does not move?
please help

I assume you have an oil line going to the gauge if you could blow air into the gauge? I'm don't recall the the set up on a 77 FLH.Do you also have an oil light?
By what you're saying I would guess your gauge is bad.On newer FLH's the sending unit has 2 wires on it,1 for light,1 for gauge.There is no oil line to the gauge.Was this a gauge add on in the tappet screen hole?
tourbox

yes there is an oil line to the gauge. i get oil at the end of the line so i know it gets to the gauge. there is no oil light. i just didnt know that the gauge could go bad.

the gauge is from a port on the oil pump

You need to get a replacement IF the oil is under any pressure and com'n out, it shoulld register.. What is the poundage on the gauge face.... Low number to High number?

You will want to keep it the same... Modern gauges won't do your bike a lot of good. My thinking is that old of a bike gauge has a top number of 15 or 30 pounds... Those early bikes used a LOW oil pressure, so the gauge Has to be the same to register it correctly... Putting in a 0/100 lb gauge and that would probably not register oil at an idle either.:D

IF it is running out the line and holding the oil line at a horizontal level and the oil pumps-out at least a 1/2 inch from the tube end at an idle,,,, You have oil pressure...

signed....BUBBIE

Replace the gauge and check the overhead tappet screen

Back