free website stats program Oil Pressure Gauge, no more oil filling... | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure Gauge, no more oil filling...

FerrousBueller

I installed the Harley Oil Pressure Gauge Kit, part #75133-99 on my '09 Softail Custom. I took many pictures of the install to post here in case someone wanted to see how it's done. I drove the bike to the neighbors house after checking for leaks, ( about 100 Yards away ). After the bike is shut down for a few minutes the plug for the oil filling pops out and the clear oil that used to fill the gauge is covering the pipes and some of the motor. Not Happy!!! The local dealer has a replacement on order for me.

I have a couple of questions:
1) What could I have possibly done wrong with the install?
2) With the oil filling gone, are there any dangers of me running the bike with the gauge unfilled and plug less?

Can't be anything you did wrong during the install. It is remotely possible the bourdon tube inside the gauge has a leak and the gauge is actually slowly filling with engine oil. That would have increased the internal pressure of the gauge, forcing the rubber plug to pop out.
But most likely the plug just fell out due to vibration or it not being properly seated. As long as engine oil is not filling the gauge, don't worry about the glycerin oil missing from the gauge. Just replace the gauge when the new one comes in.

The Chinese kids did the best they could that day, just wasnt good enough to stay together that long. I'm betting its nothing you did.

Bodeen

I had to get a decent plug from a different gauge to stop the leak. Tried 2 Harley gauges and they both leaked. The plug I took from an American gauge had thicker, stiffer rubber and hasn't leaked in 2 years.

My HD Gauge KIT that I bought a long time ago for my FXDS 2000 had a problem with oil (after any warranty) leaking around the see-thru.. I felt the , what I thought glass as a soft piece of ??? never sure.It seemed firm but when i pushed on it , It gave some...

The replacement (my dime) on that bike also developed a small leak Past the rubber plug.. When it Leaked out Enough to leave a Air Bubble (of which it needed, lacking expansion in the first place) Did just fine after that on its own.

I like the HD and Nice chrome brkt. that fits on the rear head..
I put one on my 09 FLHR and would Not be without it.

So the Yada Yada and NOW the POINT is::: Maybe Your gauge was Over full and no air bubble for the expansion of the oil when heated.... POP

signed....BUBBIE

I may be getting an inexpensive, temporary gauge today. I ordered a "Russel" braided oil line to replace the stock one. If they have a decent looking gauge in stock, I'll pop that one in untill the H-D replacement comes in. If no temporary gage is available, I'll carefully test the original gage in the driveway. If I don't see engine oil leaking out of the gauge, then I'll procede with caution.

This is the third day of sunshine after seven+ days of rain! The dirt road from my place to the blacktop has dried enough to safely pass. This is driving me nuts!

I have a word of advice for those who may be considering this install...
Untill you have confirmed that the gauge in your kit is sealed correctly, point the plug on the side of the gauge AWAY from your leg! I was off the bike when the plug gave up, it could have been much worse! The oil could have spewed on the inside of my thigh.

Thank All Of You for your input!

Generally the oil in the gauge is only there to dampen the pointer movement and shouldn't be a problem if you get it on your leg. More than likely the gauge plug wasn't installed correctly if it came out that easy.

I had the same thing happen to me. Upset me. Ended up buying an aftermarket unit and never had a problem with it.

OK, reinstalled gauge, ran motor for 20 minutes or so, no leaks at fittings or, gauge plug hole. Taking bike to work.

Glider,
I thought maybe any oil in the gauge might be hot enough to burn. If not the case, that makes me more comfortable.

I'll post any other related developments later today.

Thank You All... Again!

Back