free website stats program Oil pressure gauge/dummy light | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pressure gauge/dummy light

89 FXRS

I was wondering about the two different things concering oil pressure - is the dummy light to indicate only that you're low on oil or will it come on if you're down on oil pressure as well?

Hey glider - the light never comes on while the bikes running but the oil pressure gauge show variable readings while driving on the freeway - 25-34 psi@3000rpm it moves around from time to time - could the oil pressure gauge be going bad or do you think the sending unit might be bad??? Not sure what to do on this one!

Only oil pressure, it will not tell you if you are low on oil until it's too late.

QUOTE= I was wondering about the two different things concering oil pressure - is the dummy light to indicate only that you're low on oil or will it come on if you're down on oil pressure as well?

The oil pressure gauge will fluctuate with engine speed and temps also and the sending unit only takes a few LBS of pressure to put the light out.

As long as you are showing oil pressure above let's say 10 lbs at slower speeds and more at highway speeds, there isn't much to worry about.

Some show almost no oil pressure at idle on a hot day.

The gauge shows 33psi while riding @3000rpm then will drop down to 26psi while still at 3000rpm , then will go up to29psi and fluctuate slowly but continually - but yet if I stop and shut off the bike even for 4-5 minutes the oil pressure will stablize for a short time, then repeat itself -any ideas or thoughts on this?

As long as you are showing oil pressure above let's say 10 lbs at slower speeds and more at highway speeds, there isn't much to worry about.

Some show almost no oil pressure at idle on a hot day.[/QUOTE]

Only oil pressure, it will not tell you if you are low on oil until it's too late.

The oil pressure gauge will fluctuate with engine speed and temps also and the sending unit only takes a few LBS of pressure to put the light out.

Hey glider - the light never comes on while the bikes running but the oil pressure gauge show variable readings while driving on the freeway - 25-34 psi@3000rpm it moves around from time to time - could the oil pressure gauge be going bad or do you think the sending unit might be bad??? Not sure what to do on this one!

QUOTE= I was wondering about the two different things concering oil pressure - is the dummy light to indicate only that you're low on oil or will it come on if you're down on oil pressure as well?

The gauge shows 33psi while riding @3000rpm then will drop down to 26psi while still at 3000rpm , then will go up to29psi and fluctuate slowly but continually - but yet if I stop and shut off the bike even for 4-5 minutes the oil pressure will stablize for a short time, then repeat itself -any ideas or thoughts on this?

As Glider has stated - the oil pressure gauge will show different readings. My 07 Ultra's gauge does the same thing.

That is normal expected pressure...at low RPMs the oil pump output is only putting out about 25 PSI and will fluctuate a bit...

I think what the OP is saying is,,, If he maintains a CONSTANT 3000 RPM the psi will vary from 33psi to 26psi which to me is Not normal.

At least that is how I understand his post at entry point #5.

If so, he has got a problem.

Back