free website stats program Oil Pressure Drop.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Pressure Drop..

The4opps1

Hello to all. A few months ago, I had posted about a drop in oil pressure on my '99 FLHTCU and got a lot of info from the responses. Thanks. Yesterday, it was about 55 here in South Jersey and I hit the road. For the first hour, oil pressure was right at 30 lbs. When I stopped for a light or stop sign it went to 10 lbs. About an hour into the ride, I noticed that the 30 lbs reading had become 15 lbs, and the idle reading was about 0. OK, I know that as the engine heats the viscosity goes down, etc., but why after an hour? It had to have reached operating temperature long before that. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I plan to take the cam cover off in a few weeks and check everything out. At the least, I'll install a Baisley spring. Thanks for the input....

I understand your concern as I went crazy checking my oil preasure gauge when I bought my 08.After talking with many other owners who have the gauge I came to one conclusion.Its about as usefull as the ambiant temp gauge they provided us with.The fact that you had 30pnds. tells me the oil pump is working.I look at it as thats all I need to know.

I understand your concern as I went crazy checking my oil preasure gauge when I bought my 08.After talking with many other owners who have the gauge I came to one conclusion.Its about as usefull as the ambiant temp gauge they provided us with.The fact that you had 30pnds. tells me the oil pump is working.I look at it as thats all I need to know.

Thanks for the quick reply. Funny, but I had given the gauge reliability , particularly the sending unit, a thought. Thanks again....

I plan to take the cam cover off in a few weeks and check everything out. At the least, I'll install a Baisley spring. Thanks for the input....

Your problem sounds like deja vu all over again! I went through the whole replacing the sending unit phase too. When I took the nose cone off, the outside tensioner shoe was in bits scattered throughout the nose cone.

I WOULD NOT WAIT to pull the nose cone and check things out. You have the spring loaded tensioners, and they can mess up your engine if the plastic gets carried around the oil system. Get a cheap dental mirror to use for inspecting the inside tensioner shoe condition.

I am planning on the roller chain cam drive up-grade to the '07 configuration.

TQ

Thanks for the info. The more I think about those tensioners, the more I realize that cam cover has to come off, pronto! Thanks again.....

Back