free website stats program Oil pressure at idle | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pressure at idle

franka

07 Road King with 40,000 miles, Dakota Digital oil pressure gauge installed. At idle my pressure jumps between 30-50 Lbs. seems high to me, what should I be concerned about?
WAP.gif

Harley calls for a minimum at idle of 10 lbs. and max pressure above 55mph of 36-38 lbs. Above that pressure and from what I'm reading you stand a chance of starving the lower end. I think you need to use a master oil pressure gauge and go from there.

Seems really high for idle pressure. Like Don suggests, try a good quality test gauge to be sure.

franka,

At COLD Idle, My 09 king hits 50 until it gets warmed up. IF your bike would run that high (IDLE) After about a 20/30 minute ride, I'd say the gauge is faulty.

My Idle Hot is 12 lbs and cruise at 40... Using my HD after market pressure gauge that mounts on the rear head valve cover...(nice)

No way can an HD pump run at Idle that High an Oil Pressure with Oil Hot at Running temp...

COLD Oil YES....

I'm putting in a Bigger SE oil pump, Not for more pressure but Flow... Even though not needed.... The old pump has 109,000 miles on it... oil...

Got good results on the Hydraulic shoes from new till now 40% left on the top Cam one. Outer shoe with 42,000 miles on it (replaced when going 103") hardly showing wear yet...

Just put above in for information...

signed....BUBBIE

Sure been having some GREAT riding weather in our SEATTLE Area... Nicer than Az. this year... Maybe some good Sun for the oyster run to Anacortes...

Bubbie has got you covered, I assumed you meant all the time. What is it at operating temp.?

I noticed the other day,my bike has a oil pressure gauge.Idle is 10-14.On the hwy. never seen it go over 30.

I noticed the other day,my bike has a oil pressure gauge.Idle is 10-14.On the hwy. never seen it go over 30.

8-10 at idle and 32-34 is a normal pressure reading on a warmed up engine. You may have some variation from gauge to gauge but not that much.

Back