free website stats program Oil prelube before starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil prelube before starting

pjones

Does anyone have any info on installing a prelube systems for bikes. Since most of the engine wear comes from starting the engine...it only makes sense to prelube before starting.
Pat

I have read that 50% of your engine wear comes from starting the engine without adequate oil in the bearings ( especially from sitting too long). Is there anything on the market available or is this a scratch built project?
Prelube pumps...hand pumps...hydraulic accumulators?
Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
True that the great portion of wear on any engine comes on startup. However, the majority of that wear is in areas that are not affected by oil pressure. When an engine is started, the greatest wear is in the area of the piston skirt where it is free to make contact with the cylinder walls as it is centering itself during the initial rotations of the crankshaft.
Wear to bearings, cam lobes, lifters, and the valve train is minimal as they are protected by the trapped oil which is deposited and left in place on their surfaces from previous runs.
Overall the wear to all componants is minimal and, in a properly maintained engine, should offer no adverse effect to the life of the engine.
Really, the only time I personally feel that prelubing is necessary is during the initial startup of a freshly overhauled engine, and if you are starting an engine that has been setting untouched for an extended period of time.

Excellent view GS and very true too. On these bikes the pre oiling IMO really isn't beneficial for the reasons you mentioned.

I rigged up an electric pump years ago and heat the oil in a pan, then pump it trough an port, oil sending unit/gauge fitting etc. for any overhaul job I do, be it auto,bike or aircraft engine.....I know the professiona wrench bends, (NASCAR,Drag engine builders) have done this for years....not needed for normal "start up"......

So does anyone have any good ideas for spring start up? I know my bike hasn't been started since November (I didn't want to have the added worry of condensation), so are there any steps I can take to help the lube process along?

So does anyone have any good ideas for spring start up? I know my bike hasn't been started since November (I didn't want to have the added worry of condensation), so are there any steps I can take to help the lube process along?

I pull the plugs and drop a table spoon or 2 of engine oil into each cylinder.
Torque the spark plug to specs, but do not connect the wire yet. Turn the bike over a few revs to distribute the oil . Reconnect the wires and start her up.

You will get smoke but it will soon disappear depending on how much oil was added to each cylinder.

Thanks dangerdan and Glider.

By the way Glider, how do you have time to respond to all of our posts, come up with new tech tips, ride your RK, sleep and still have the most high scores in the arcade?

You are truly (to take a line from the History Channel) a Modern Marvel :D

Thanks for all your help.

Back