free website stats program Oil pan remove... | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil pan remove...

OK...

Yes, you can do this. Lift up the bike a bit so that the rear wheel leaving the ground. Remove the rear axle and loosen the belt and brake caliper and move the wheel maximum backward. Set some wooden planks under the engine and loosen the bolts and carefully move the oil pan backwards.

Sorry for my bad English

Sounds like you have the removal handled and your description is fine. Was there a video of the whole procedure? If there was it would be great if you could cut and paste it here. Thanks again.

One more thing to do...

Remove the right side and left side exhaust muffler. Remove the left side muffler at the catalytic converter section; the crossover pipe will stay attached to the left muffler,

Just a couple of clarifying points to the OP.

1. The OP has a post '09 model and the baffle is attached to the pan; no springs holding it down like the pre '09 models which make the oil pan removal more challenging. If one is removing a pre '09 pan, it would be a good time to replace it with the later pan for two reasons. First, easier to R/R in the future and second, it will allow the installation of the post '09 model exhaust system and remove a lot of heat away from pilot and passenger.

2. I will be surprised of the OP gets the pan out without removing the rear wheel and think that even if he does, removing the rear wheel will make the pan R/R much easier. The rear wheel must be removed on a pre '09 model and while I have not removed the pan from a post '09 model, I don't see any difference but stand to be corrected.

3. The transmission must be drained first as well as dealing with the rear wheel and removing the exhaust.

4. If the cross member is bent, it must be straightened first.

5. Don't even think about trying to R/R the oil pan with a jack underneath. Use the jack to position the bike and find another way to keep it up with the jack removed; just be sure that there is access to all the oil pan fasteners.

6. There are various ways to suspend the motor; the most common is a tie down or something similar to suspend the motor from above and eliminating any support under the motor.

Thank you very mutch...

One other issue to deal with. The SS mesh "gasket" between the cross over pipe and the right side head pipe is a tricky install. The cross over pipe has been compressed to fit tight with the gasket. It will be very difficult to install the cross over pipe into the right side head pipe properly without using a pipe expander tool to open up the cross over pipe to allow proper fitment of the gasket. If not installed properly, that connection will leak.:s

Back