free website stats program oil out of breather | Harley Davidson Forums

oil out of breather

barefoot69

have a 2008 ultra, at 7176 miles had to replace umbrella valves because of excessive oil dripping by dealer. now at 12829 miles getting oil out of breather but not as bad. have stage one screaming kit with paper filter. do i just clean it or go back to dealer?

Not knowing which filter you have in that stage 1 as they have changed them quite a bit to different ones, I would call the dealer and give them the part number of your stage 1 and they will be able to tell you positively if it is the washable one or not. I would just replace it with the K&N filter myself and be done with it.

Check your oil level in the bike, overfilling will puke oil .

thanks glider, i changed oil myself an i put in 4 qts, should of put in 3.5. removed 1/2 qt will see what happens. screaming eagle filter part number 29244-08, is this washable ? any body know part # for kn filter ? will go that route

thanks glider, i changed oil myself an i put in 4 qts, should of put in 3.5. removed 1/2 qt will see what happens. screaming eagle filter part number 29244-08, is this washable ? any body know part # for kn filter ? will go that route

There's probably the reason for the oil puking. When you install 4 qts, there's about 1/2 qt left in the oil galleries when you drain the oil so you are over full.

Don't have the application for your part number, but you can find it here...

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/89-11553_inst.pdf

Sounds to me like your are over filling it.
If you put 4 in you way over filled it.
Check the dip stick by the book to make sure you are adding the correct amount.

Ah, nice you just confirmed what I thought. I have been putting in 3.5 because after 3.5 the fill line is perfect, however the book calls for 4 w/ filter change which I thought was excessive.

Yeah the 2009s are different, they only have one side marked for the jiffy stand cold & hot. I am right in the middle. I just thought it was weird that the manual says 4qts w/ filter and it only took about 3.5ish. I guess I am use to Japanese bikes and cars that list the actual fill amount in the manual and only the dry fill amount in the service manuals.

I had a similar problem with my 07 Street Glide, I have a K&N filter, and I went beyond my 2500 mile recharge, and that caused oil to be sucked out of the breather holes. Since I have recharged it I have had no problems.

Back