free website stats program Oil light PSI on 2010 FatBoy | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil light PSI on 2010 FatBoy

wilks3

At what pressure does oil light go out?
And, is oil pressure switch inline between oil pump and oil filter?
I changed oil on my FB and when started up oil light immediately went out.
Now I know theres no way the oil filter got filled up and engine got oil pressure that fast. HD nominal 5 micron filter and 20W50 HD dino oil was used.
Any thoughts?
wilks3:D

I believe the oil pressure switch is after the filter. My guess on threshold for switch would be 3 lbs.
Both are strong confident guesses.:p:p

I changed oil on my FB and when started up oil light immediately went out.
Now I know theres no way the oil filter got filled up and engine got oil pressure that fast.
wilks3:D

You also have to remember that since your only dealing with less than ~5 psi, the sending unit will respond to both air and fluid pressure. Compressed air volume would also turn the light out. It does not have to be oil. The air in the filter has to go somewhere and will compress as the filter is filling up. That air pressure could easily turn off the oil light even with no actual oil flow past the oil sending switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody know if oil pressure switch is in-line between pump and filter?
Or is it after filter?
wilks3

From V-Twin Harley Davidson Forum, "On the TC, oil flow is from tank>pump>PSIsender>oil filter>engine>sump>return"
Is this right? Sounds right.

I pull the spark plug wires and crank it over for about 10 seconds and get some fresh oil in the pump/oil passages before I light her off...

Back