free website stats program Oil Light flickering... | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Light flickering...

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that at stop lights my oil light flickers. I assume that it is because of low oil pressure.

I have ask a few mechanics about this and they seem to think that my 04 Road King with 45k miles is due for a new oil pump service.

One said it's like clockwork that these engines need this done around 50k miles.

I have read some on this forum about this. Does anyone know of a great article about doing this work myself? My RK has never left home. If I can't then I'm fine with taking it in.

Any forum reading on this topic would be great.

Thanks,

Dale

Dale

Before assuming it's the pump, I would first check the pressure at idle with a gauge to verify that it is indeed low and the cause of the light flickering and also check the oil level and type and viscosity as well to be sure the proper oil viscosity and level are spot on.

Lastly it could be a defective oil sending switch doing this too.

I have always used the HD brand of Synthetic 20-50 oil for everthing since it was new.

I'm not sure how to go about putting a gauge on the engine to check the oil pressure. Is there a PDF file on this site to show me what the process is.

Put some better oil in the engine and see if you still have a problem. The HD syn oil is garbage.

As far as the gauge goes, it's a matter of the gauge and the associated pipe fittings that can be tapped into the same hole as the oil pressure sending switch to check the pressure then the pressure switch can be returned to the original position after the test.

Thanks for the replies!

Dale,,,,, Glider isn't Woofing about the Syn 3 oil..... It is NOT what good oil is about.... Many have used it in all three holes and many Have Had problems...

Take the Suggestion here and Switch to a Quality oil..... You'll like it better Especially in the tranny and the Bike will LAST Longer.

Yes, almost any oil lubricates but MUCH Better oil is available than Syn 3... I would change out to a Better oil at first chance.... I just did a testimonial on the products I have used in my bikes over the years.. Redline makes a full compliment of oils for v-twin AIR Cooled... 25 yrs of Good Results from REDLINE....

Redline 20/50 for the engine //// OR mobil 1 V-twin /// Spectro engine
Redline MTL v-twin Primary oil //// OR HD Formal + /// Spectro primary
Redline Shockproof for the tranny //// OR Spectro tranny

There is MUCH to read in "self help" on oils and please do so..

One thing Not mentioned by you is the Idle Speed (rpm) and How HOT the bike gets when it flickers at an idle....

What modifications have you done to the bike and does it have a oil cooler?

The older bikes, Pre-07 had a oil pump that didn't pump the Volume Needed in the TC motor.. Harley made a higher volume pump for the TC in 06/07 bikes that improver the situation.. HD, Also done away from the tensioner Shoe/spring to a Hydraulic type that works better and Safer for the motor...

All available in KIT form and Much instruction on this site YOU Can Do All Yourself...

Just make sure you Have the HD big manual for your bike and this site will Have ALL the Help and Information back-up you'll need to get the Job done Yourself..

signed....BUBBIE

type in oil,oil,oil and read that thread.

I would perform what Glider recommends first before doing anything (entry point #2). This way you will have a baseline. After that, do anything you want like changing oil, sending unit, increase idle, etc. But you first have to get a reading of what your pressure actually is right now.

Dale,

Since your bike is a 2004 RK, you have the infamous spring-loaded cam chain tensioners in the cam chest. With 45K miles on that bike, you definitely should get in the cam chest to see what condition these are in. I had similar symptoms to yours (low/fluctuating oil pressure) when my outside tensioner was in the process of nuking! So, do not delay in checking this out.

If you decide you want to upgrade that system, there are two basic options: roller chain conversion and gear drive. I prefer the roller chain conversion for a number of reasons. Here is some info on the alternatives for roller chain conversion:

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

And here is a pictorial of my up-grade:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I have a stock 04 with no modifications, I know it's hard to believe.

I will check on the idle rpm's and get back on this. Can I adjust the idle rpm's? I have a fuel injected engine.

Thanks... I'll do some reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will check on the idle rpm's and get back on this. Can I adjust the idle rpm's? I have a fuel injected engine.

Not easily (Thank Goodness!). You need the Digital Tech to do that, and you do not want to change from the ~1,000 rpm that it should be. I think the range is something like 950-1,050. So I would say anything from 900-1,100 rpm is good. Back it out. Like I said above, I would be high on nervous about the tensioners if you have never check them.

TQ

Back