free website stats program Oil; light Flickering | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil; light Flickering

20ultra01

on my 2001 (FLHTCUI Ultra Classic) my oil light flickers after starting cold or hot, the oil press is 8 psi at idle and 35 psi around 2000 rpm. I have checked the oil sending unit on front of motor for a loose wire, i unplugged it and the gauge stops working but the light continues to flicker. Is there a different wire I should be checking to see if it is loose? any help would be great!!!

Maybe time to check the tensioners if you havent .. The light should work off the sender also

Welcome Ultra, the oil light gets it's ground from the sending unit I believe, if you touch the wire to a ground the light should stay on solid. What's it do when you just turn ign on without starting? Sounds like there is a short to the bulb somewhere; the vibrations might be giving it a intermittent short so, while running would make it flicker?

Then it's got to be shorting out somewhere, maybe in the Indicator Lamp Assembly? You can try a wiggle test, just unplug the sending unit wire and try wiggling the wires back up to the lamp assembly while watching the light? If it flashes you found where it's grounding. You would have to pull the outter fairing off to access the wires. Just a thought if you're sure it flickers while unpluged from the sender, because I could see a sender doing, just not while it's unplugged.

on my 2001 (FLHTCUI Ultra Classic) my oil light flickers after starting cold or hot, the oil press is 8 psi at idle and 35 psi around 2000 rpm. I have checked the oil sending unit on front of motor for a loose wire, i unplugged it and the gauge stops working but the light continues to flicker. Is there a different wire I should be checking to see if it is loose? any help would be great!!!

With the sender unplugged and the light still flickering, there's more than likely a ground on the wire someplace between the sender and the lamp. Do the wiggle test on the wire like Chopper said and you will find it.

Thanks! Chopper and Glider, It worked! The short was between the sender and were it connects under the seat. Just went for a ride and all is well !!!!
RIDE ON BROTHERS RIDE ON.

Good you got the problem solved...was the insulation cut or the wire cut or pinched right at the connector entry? :ap

Last edited:
Back