free website stats program Oil light Buggin me | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil light Buggin me

levihog

Got a 2000 R-K when motor is cold, takes bout 5 secs for oil light to go off.When its warm ,goes off pretty much immeditly.Am i worried over nothing? Always run Amsoil 20-50syn

If your that worried hook up a mechanic gauge and start it up cold and see how long oil pressure takes to come up and what it is ..

ok thanks it never comes back on even at slow idle on 95 degree day like today

yes good idea thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
had an 03 wideglide that did the same thing turned out to be a faulty oil filter the anti drain back was bad so each time i fired it up it cold it took a sec 2 build oil pressure because over night the oil had slowly drained back this was a K&N filter i switched 2 a H-D filter and the problem went away

had an 03 wideglide that did the same thing turned out to be a faulty oil filter the anti drain back was bad so each time i fired it up it cold it took a sec 2 build oil pressure because over night the oil had slowly drained back this was a K&N filter i switched 2 a H-D filter and the problem went away

Same thing happen to me. And I was even using a Genuine HD filter. It had me worried until Glider pointed me in the right direction and told me to install a new filter. All was well after that..

I have a road glide and when I start it up cold it does the same thing - not only does it take a bit longer for the light to go off, it also shows on the oil pressure gauge that it takes a little bit more time before it comes up -however I never noticed it until i started using synthetic oil (redline 20x60) I did in fact hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and all is fine - my guess is that synthetic oil is so slick that it drains down a lot quicker than the non syn. harley oil - and it takes a little more time to build up?

Got a 2000 R-K when motor is cold, takes bout 5 secs for oil light to go off.When its warm ,goes off pretty much immeditly.Am i worried over nothing? Always run Amsoil 20-50syn

I see it is a 2000, wondered How many miles on it?

The Pressure switch is set at a Low oil pressure,,, 4/5 lbs and really IT could be the one switch that is set on the high side, taking More pressure to make it move so light goes off... If you want to check it accurately and see IF your pressure is OK, I'd do like Bud said and put a gauage on it.. Now IF you go that far INSTALL one full time.. You will have Both units and Know the oil pressure ...

I had a 2ooo FXDs Built Big and I put the Nice HD oil gauage that fits on the rear rocker-box top, Nice looking unit/chrome bracket .. Good for me to see the oil pressure... Some WORRY More after the gauage is on.

The pressure on cold starting and taking time to come UP is Not abnormal as I said It May be Just your sending unit... My 2000 took a little time for the light to go out also when cold.. But the gauage came Up right away..

The Kit offered by HD is easy to put on and IF you do,,,, BE Careful on NOT over-tightening the New double fitting you use to Hook BOTH back up,, or you can CRACK the front engine housing (Tapered Pipe Thread) Use a liquid white thread sealer on the connection-fittings... route the plastic hose thru the fiber Heat Shield, The line Fits great Behind the pipes and not touching... The fiber cover is Needed to cover the plastic line.

I have Had these HD gauages on 3 of my big bikes...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanx BUBBIE ,This is my 2nd motor on this bike 1st one crashed an burned with 150,000 on it , got bout 4,000 on this reman motor,think i will change oil,new filter,install a gauge an be done with it,thanx for your responce

Back