free website stats program Oil Leaks | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Leaks

ksboy

Account Removed
I was told by a guy that knows a lot about bikes, "show me an old shovel that doesn't leak and I'll show you one that's out of oil". However, it seems like my bikes leaks are getting worse. Should I try a gasket softener (if so, any brand recommendations?) or do shovels just need gasket replacements every so often? Any other ideas would be appreciated.
As for the leak locations-too many to mention.

If the gaskets are leaking they should be changed.The place on the motor where seals are needed is generaly the problem with the shovel. They make double seals that will help there. Do you have a chain oiler? That can give ya some residual oil. an older motor with worn bushings or bearings tends to take out the seals quiker and thats where the problems tend to arrise. Not the gaskets. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Chain oiler "drip" system was notorious...think chain saw here, but as SpeedyRon said, engine and tranny should be oil tight...especially with plenty of aftermarket products that use more modern materials.

She leaks from everything, but the seat...
Sounds like I have some work to do this winter.
Thanks for the info guys.

Having one of the limited edition Belt Drive Classics, I can assure you that shovelheads don't have to leak. I bought mine in 97 as second owner, and have ridden it to Sturgis 6 times and it has never leaked a drop. People have told me it was out of oil, but not so. The man that worked on my bike is the only one that ever has, so says the original owner. I recently had the entire engine and transmission rebuilt after 12 years and 96,000 miles. Also during that time the only work done on my bike was tire and oil changes, and wheel bearing lubs and changes. I'm back on the road again, and it still doesn't leak. It can be done.

Sounds like I shouldn't buy into the idea that oil leaks and old Harley's go hand and hand. I appreciate the info.

Getting 96K on a Shovel has to be a record of some kind and I love them. Don't for get that the engine breather was just usually pointed to the ground. Fossil

Back