free website stats program Oil Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Leak

nfbmp

I have a 2000 EGC, 8K and have developed a slight oil leak. Several drops upon returning from a ride. The dealer recently changed all fluids,
Amsoil20/50, Redline Heavy, and HD Formula+. I thought I solved it when I found the engine oil drain plug loose and leaking but I still have a leak. The front sparkplug was also hand loose.

The leak seems to be coming from somewhere in the area where the chain case and the crank case join together. Is this an area that is prone to leaking? The fluid that is leaking out appears clear on the piece of paper that I used to try to locate the source of the leak.

Does anyone know of a technique that I could use to find the source of the leak?

Thanks for the help.

Possible it's oil that wasn't cleaned off after the filter was changed.

Sounds like you have a winner there for a dealer with the oil drain plug and the spark plugs loose. Bring it to their attention before someone else isn't as lucky as you and their engine gets damaged from lack oi oil.

I would clean the engine and around there real good and recheck to see if it is still leaking.

Help me.....:( I went out yesterday to clean our bikes, (yep, my husband is the luckiest man alive) but we noticed his bike had dripped a few drops of oil. I wiped every thing up, cleaned my bike and his had not dripped any more. Today, after we returned from a 150 mile ride, as we suspected, the bike would drip oil when it was warm. It looks like it is more on the left side of the bike, kind of near the top of the primary case/crank case??. Sort of looks like it might be a pain to get to. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow, of course I will be taking the picture of the mirror.

He has a 2004 EGC with @ 9000 miles. I sure hope it's something simple enough that the little wifey can fix. :s

Okay, I hope these will work. The pix are from the bottom, looking up on the left side of the bike. (in the mirror of course)

I think the leak is coming from this area, not positive though. I looked around at what I could see above that area & didn't see anything.

HarleyPixSept08004-1.jpg

Here is a pic of some of the oil, I had the first pic where it was wiped off.

HarleyPixSept08005.jpg

It only seems to drip when it is really hot, (longer rides). Today, he ran down to Advanced Auto to pick up some tire black (less than 10 miles round trip) and after he parked the bike it didn't drip at all.

Running M1 V Twin in the engine, HD+ in the primary, and Spectro in the tranny of course. :s

Hope this helps nfbmp too. :s

Joy

It's difficult to tell where the picture is reflecting to, can you take a side profile of the bike or any bike and mark with an arow where that oil problem is? Could it be running down from something up above?

I figured that this would be tough, it's hard to get there, but fortunately, I did take a couple of pix of his ride since I had it out. If this doesn't help, I will try to get some more pix tomorrow. Fortunately the leak is very minor at this point (I hope).

HarleyPixSept08008-3.jpg

The arrow on the bottom sort of points up to where I had the mirror set up. The circle is of about the area, (but on the inside of course) about where the mirror is reflecting. I just looked at the picture and I think it should be a little lower on the inside.

The leak appears to be coming from in front of the oil pan, slightly above. I can't tell for sure if the leak is coming from some where above that point, but I'm also not sure if I am looking in the correct places either. (I almost wish it was a bit worse so it would be easier to find, not really, but it is proving difficult here).

I can set the mirror up tomorrow and back off a bit to give you an idea if it would help.

If we need to, we will take it to some pros, (my guys who let me help & learn) but I would rather wait until the end of riding season if possible.

BTW, the egc looks pretty cool without the tour pack doesn't it. Almost cool enough for me to ride. :s LOL When I said that I think it worried him, he's running out of excuses. :)

Maybe just a little oil Blowing out the trans vent tube after a long ride.. slightly over filled maybe?

Joy

Much better!:D

The things that can leak there are the trans main shaft seal or the shifter arm seal, possibly the primary seal where it joins the trans.. If you look in from the top behind the primary, you should be able to see if there are traces of oil coming from the shift arm seal.

Can you recognize the oil by color, If you are using the Spectro in the trans, it will have a different color than the primary oil. Blot it with a piece of paper towel and check for color.

Either way where ever the oil is coming from in that area, the primary has to come off and also the clutch basket/primary chain/compensator to get at it to fix it.

If you did the service on it, chances are it wasn't overfilled but also check for any leaks from the primary plug too.

Glider, I used a mirror and MagLite to locate the source of the oil. It is coming from the rubber grommet that feeds the wires to the stator. It comes out of there and runs down and under the crackcase. It took a while but I'm sure that is the source.

The manual doesn't give too much info on the rubber grommet or if it has an O ring.

Any info will be appreciated.

Back