free website stats program oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

oil leak

I have a slight oil leak from the rocker box on my 1998 Fatboy. Could some buddy give me advice on how to change the gasket. Thanks:rider

I have a slight oil leak from the rocker box on my 1998 Fatboy. Could some buddy give me advice on how to change the gasket. Thanks:rider

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of great info on the various pages and in the heads of your fellow members.

Before you pull it apart, try snugging up the fasteners a tad and see if that does it. Otherwise, you have to pull the fasteners and change out #17, 18, and 19 here:

ROCKER ARM COVERS & PUSH RODS-V2TM EVOLUTION - 1998 Harley Davidson FLSTF

It is a bit of a nightmare on the rear cylinder!! Cut down an allen wrench so you can get on the rear fasteners.

TQ

Ive found that normally its the lower gaskets marked 14 & 15 that leak
its a bit more involved to change them as toy have to take the rockers off and assistance from reading a service manual will help as well as give the correct torque settings for reassembly

Brian

Hey, Thanks for the info.....I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.....Lance

When you take the top off and the sandwich (#23 and 24), check them on a very flat surface (granite counter top, marble slab, etc.) to make sure they are not warped.

Although Fin_676 may be right, it is worth trying the cover seals first since it is so much simpler to change them. If the pieces are not warped, and you change out the rubber gaskets and still have oil leaking somewhere, then that may be your next step.

TQ

Also use a quality gasket set like Cometic or James gaskets. It will be a better grade than the factory type.

Ok ill admit that on occasions 1 beer aint enough (find it a lot esier not to have any than have one and stop)
got a few good beer drinking occasions arranged during july and august

Brian

Back