free website stats program Oil leak-Need help | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil leak-Need help

ickster

So I've had my '08 1200XLC for barely two months and I've developed a pretty good oil leak at the rear piston right at the bottom of the inner rocker cover on the horn/left side (at the corner).
So I whip out my HD manual and have at it. I've got the gas tank off, and removed the four bolts holding the upper cover on. I'm thinking it's simply going to be a matter of torqueing the four inner rocker cover screws?
But the manual says to rotate crankshaft until both valves are closed....is this why the upper cover won't simply slide off? How do I rotate the crankshaft? And how will I know the valves are closed? The upper cover won't clear the inner components for removal. Any tips, info and cautions would be appreciated.

As i have never been inside a rubber mount sportster i may be wrong here but on the solid mount ones
put bike in gear plugs out and move back wheel that should rotate the engine as you have the upper rocker cover off you will be able to watch the valves go up and down
when looking in the top of the rocker cover the valves are at their highest point when closed
previous experience with sporty engines tells me that you will need to remove the rockers and replace the lower rocker cover gasket to get an oil tight engine

Brian

Thanks Brian! I'm kind of thinking the same thing. With help from another forum, I did get the top cover off. I just wasn't aggresive enough LOL.
I'm a bit intimidated by going that far. I do want it right though. I was hoping just torqueing that inner cover would do it.

Just torquing the bolts down usually does not help much as the oil has found its way out only way to stop it is to remove it clean the whole area and fit a new gasket

Brian

Thanks Brian. Sounds like sound advice.
Just got back from my local dealer. The guy at the service desk said I could indeed take off the inner rocker in one piece and as long as I paid close attention to the destructions and esp. the rods, I should be able to replace the gasket and put the whole inner cover right back in place.
So of course, I ask the same thing as I'm buying the parts at the parts desk and a grizzled biker waiting on parts rolls his eyes....got me scared LOL. He sez'"Ain't as easy as it sounds"....
Wish me luck ha ha!

Allow plenty of time for the job
read the manual 3 or 4 times so that you are full sure of what you are going to do
ensure you have all the tools at hand and plenty of light
i always write down the torque settings i will need and do a diagram if necessary
if you are going to pull the push rods make sure you mark them
the old gasket may take a wee bit of effort to get it off take your time and be careful you do not damage the surfaces
if things get a bit difficult walk away and take some time out
we are always Available if you have any questions

Brian

Pay attention to torque values and patterns and use a quality gasket and you should be fine:s

Did it!

:D clapThanks for the input...seems to be fine now. I was going to do the front one as well, but my neighbor talked me out of it. "If it ain't broke...."

Back