free website stats program Oil Leak from Transmission drive spline | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Leak from Transmission drive spline

dbrzrkr

I have a an oil leak from my drive spline, its comming from between the drive spline and and the drive pully, How difficult is it to fix this problem, any suggestions, any body have and fixed this type of oil leak? any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• TransOilLeak.jpg
    TransOilLeak.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 132
  • TransOilLeakArrow.jpg
    TransOilLeakArrow.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 136
It is the main shaft oil seal that is between the main shaft and the main drive that is the problem
You will need to pull the bearing inner race off the main shaft there is a special puller and installer tool for this although it is possible to fabricate something to do this yourself once the bearing inner race is off you can then drill a small hole in the metal part of the mainshaft oil seal and screw in a self tapping screw and use it to pull the seal out and slip it off the end of the mainshaft
then clean up the area the seal works on and fit a new seal cut a piece of abs pipe of a suitable size to slip over the main shaft and drive the new seal in
then re install the bearing inner race ensure you leave enough clearance when installing the bearing inner race to allow the relevant puller to slip behind it in the future

Brian

Thanks Fin_676 It sounds pretty easy and straight forward. I was a little hesitant anbout messing around in the trany case, but its sounds like something i can tackle!
Thanks alot, its greatly appreciated!!

You are almost there getting the inner bearing race off the shaft is a pest but should come off easily enough
if you have the new seal at hand it will make sense where to drill it i used the claw end on a crow bar to pull on the screw head to get the seal out i put a block of wood against the bike to leaver the crow bar against however a claw hammer may be enough to get it to move
soak the new seal in some trans oil before fitting
Mind you you could always remove and strip the gearbox to get the seal out i just had to work out an easier way to do it

Brian

Thanks for the tips, I dont have the seal, I just tore the primary off yesterday and took the photos. Not knowing what to expect. But all the tips and tricks help immensley. I dont have the tool, I was wondering if I can get a socket that deep to get that nut off. I will check at my local bike shop for that tool.
Once again, THANK YOU, i owe you!

You dont need to get the nut off the part the big nut is on is the main drive the mainshaft goes through the main drive and the seal between the 2 is the one that is leaking
just beyond the splines that the clutch drum sits on is a fatter part on the shaft that bart is a bush bearing and that needs to be pulled off the shaft and the seal is behind it where the main shaft enters the main drive there should be a wee gap between the end of the bush and the seal that is where a puller needs to sit to pull the bush off

Brian

Hey Fin_676, Thanks for all your help I dropped by my local bike shop and rented the deep socket to get that nut off, and the puller, and purchased the seal, got home, stuck that socket on my impact wrench and pulled that race, couldnt have gone easier!! re assembled the whole bike, but forgot to get tranny and primary fluid!!
Once again thanks for the step by step insructions!!
Ride happy, Ride Safe!!!

You are welcome took me a few days to work out the best way to get that wee rascal out of there
Glad that i have been able to help

Brian

Fin,
so your saying that if I pull off the bearing that is on the shaft, just outboard of the splines that the Pulley rides on, that there is an "O" ring, or somekind of seal? Basically in the above picture, the arrow is pointing to where a seal should be inside there?
I'm asking cause my bike is doing the same and I just spent all day sunday, replacing the 3 inch transmission seal and the quad seal, and the primary drive mainshaft seal. I've had that primary off 3 times in the last 2 months chasing this leak. haha, I'm getting good at taking the stuff off and putting it back on, but I'd like to fix this leak so I don't have to do that anymore.

Fin,
so your saying that if I pull off the bearing that is on the shaft, just outboard of the splines that the Pulley rides on, that there is an "O" ring, or somekind of seal? Basically in the above picture, the arrow is pointing to where a seal should be inside there?
I'm asking cause my bike is doing the same and I just spent all day sunday, replacing the 3 inch transmission seal and the quad seal, and the primary drive mainshaft seal. I've had that primary off 3 times in the last 2 months chasing this leak. haha, I'm getting good at taking the stuff off and putting it back on, but I'd like to fix this leak so I don't have to do that anymore.

Yes there is a seal in there it is called the main shaft oil seal similar in construction to the main drive oil seal that you just replace but much smaller it has a thin metal casing and a double lip seal that runs on the shaft
once you have pulled the bearing inner race from the shaft you will see the seal
I drilled a small hole half way between the inner and outer edges of the metal part of the seal drill was at a bit of an angle to clear the mainshaft and i used a centre punch to give a wee depression for the drill to work in and went slowly
once you have a wee hole you can screw in a self tapping screw and pull on it to pull the seal out
give the mainshaft a good clean as there will be a build up of dirt round where the seal sits i used a good metal polish
then drive the new seal in with a bit of plastic pipe of a suitable size to fit over the mainshaft ensure you do not put the seal in too far

Brian

Back