free website stats program oil leak around crankcase | Harley Davidson Forums

oil leak around crankcase

lagrato

Banned
I have a 1988 electraglide classic that developed an oil lead around the nose cone. It appears to be comming from the gasket between the nose cone and engine.Is there any way to determine exactly where it is coming from. When its hot seems to boil out at the gasket but so much i cant tell.could it be a line? Just wondering how to test? any clues? thanks

After some heavy wiping and cleaning I discovered a screw loosse on the nose piece. gonna wrench it oil up and hope thats all it was. oil + smoke = panic!

Last edited by a moderator:
After some heavy wiping and cleaning I discovered a screw loosse on the nose piece. gonna wrench it oil up and hope thats all it was. oil + smoke = panic!

If that gasket between the nose cone and the case is fully saturated with oil, it will continue to wick oil out of the cam chest even if you tighten the fastener. The long-term solution is obviously to open up the cam chest and install a new gasket. However, on the EVOs, that is not as easy as on the TCs. So you may decide just to increase your cleaning frequency until it gets to the point that you have no choice.

I had a base gasket leak that I chose the cleaning strategy on. It lasted a couple of years before the jug developed enough movement to blow the head gasket. You are in a different situation with the nose cone, but just recognize it will continue to get worse.

TQ

If you change the gasket and have the push rods out you should check the Cam shaft end play with the new gasket.

Back