free website stats program Oil Leak - Air Breather Back Plate Bolts? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Leak - Air Breather Back Plate Bolts?

nakkers

Howdy folks,

After some extensive work prepping the bike for spring, I've still got a small oil leak. (Rocker cover gaskets and ignition module replaced)

Changed the oil and made sure the level is well below the max when hot so, it's not an over fill situation.

Tonight, I removed the air filter and cover to find quite a bit of oil. Cleaned it all up and took it out for quick ride without the air filter and cover to see if I can find where it's coming from.

It appears to be coming from the back plate bolts????

The cell isn't taking good pics to post at the momment. Anyone experienced this? Suggestions for a fix? I'm just letting the bike cool down to take off the backing plate and inspect. Maybe just need an appropriate lube to put on the bolts before reinstalling?

If its the bolts that hold the backplate on to the heads the bolts are hollow as they are breather bolts to allow crankcase excess pressure to escape the air yhat comes through the breather bolts usually contain a fine oil mist which may condense when it hits colder air and become oil however the oil mist should be sucked in through the carb and burnt off during combustion
however it may be that your umbrella nvalves need replacing if you have a lot of oil

Brian

Hey Fin,

That's what it appears to be. Umbrella values you say? Back to the manual I guess.

I don't think I'll be doing the fix myself but, I'll have a look at what's involved.

Cheers.

If you do a search through old posts you will find a fair bit of info on umbrella valves

Brian

Back