free website stats program oil in a/c | Harley Davidson Forums

oil in a/c

Trek

Hey everyone,

I just got done doing a search on oil in the air cleaner and found a lot of good info. FYI.. I bought my bike new August of 09 and broke it in just like Glider recommended, it has run great. It has just a little over 6000 miles on it now. As of about 600 miles ago I noticed oil in a/c cover. I came back from one ride and oil had blown down the side of my bike. The bike is still under warranty and I will probably take it to dealer to fix. Everything I have read leads me to believe the oil pump is out of alignment. I find it hard to believe it would be the rings because of the way I broke it in. Oh and it seems to show up more often when I have been running at higher speeds on the highway. Do you all think I am thinking right on this. I just want to have a little knowledge before the dealer tries to buffalo me. Two more questions. Why would it just start now and not earlier and does it hurt it to ride it like this until the end of the riding season or should I try to get it fixed as soon as possible? The only mods I have are K&N filter, V&H Monster ovals, sest. Thanks ahead for all the help.

Just make sure the oil level when hot is not over the full mark. I now actually run a tad lower than the full mark when hot. I no longer get any oil in air cleaner.

I doubt your oil pump is out of allignment. You might have over filled the oil. This is a blow by, and the bike is designed this way. Also if you just switched to a K&N you might have over oiled your air cleaner if you cleaned it recently.

I doubt your oil pump is out of allignment. You might have over filled the oil. This is a blow by, and the bike is designed this way. Also if you just switched to a K&N you might have over oiled your air cleaner if you cleaned it recently.
I can vouch for that! First time cleanin the K & N filter I did just that. :D I too had oil down the side of the bike. Don't take much at all.

Just make sure the oil level when hot is not over the full mark. I now actually run a tad lower than the full mark when hot. I no longer get any oil in air cleaner.

What Hoople said, these twin cams are fussy compared to Evos

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm positive the oil was not over filled. I check at least 3 times when I do an oil change, motor at operating temp on jiffy stand. The filter was put on at about 2000 miles when I had the stage one done and did not have any blow by until after 5000 or so on the odometer. The K&N oil is red I believe and the oil on the cover is brown. Any other thoughts?

I'd still look at an over filled situation. I have to keep my engine oil at about 2/3 to 3/4 on the dip stick. Any higher and I will get blowby if I go for a good ride.

Everything I have read leads me to believe the oil pump is out of alignment.

If your a good 1/4" below the full line with bike on Jiffy stand as dbinbc says, then I heard pump(s) alignment can do it. Since there are two independent oil pumps (supply pump & scavenger pump) stacked together,I guess it is possible to have the scavenger pump not removing oil fast enough. That would certainly do it.

That is also a good time to check crank run out and cam tensioners because you are right there anyway. Good luck trying to get the dealership to do all this because it is not a 5 minute job.

Back