free website stats program Oil Filter - K&N vs HD | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Filter - K&N vs HD

franka

07 Road King with 35,000 miles, use Mobil 1 full synthetic and change all three holes every 5,000 miles. Switched to the K&N air cleaner two years ago and believe that to be a better air filter system than stock HD. Now the question is "K&N oil filter or HD"? Looking for comments especially from those who have switched to the K&N oil filter.
WAP.gif

Thinking about going to K&N myself...tired of trying to work the HD filter off in confined qtrs. At least K&N has the "nut-head" for easier install/removal.

I've been using K&N for a couple of years. Don't know if there's any difference in the filtering qualities, but the 17mm nut on the end makes it simple to remove.

The nut on the end makes the difference for me. I will never go back. I don't think K & N would sell a filter that didn't have adequate filtering qualities for my bike.

I have K&N filters in a 3 of my vehicles to include my bike. As far as I'm concerned K&N has the best product on the market hands down.

I'm sure either will be fine.

I've spent 20 years or so of my life in Heavy Equipment and worked for one of the largest Caterpillar dealers on the west coast for 17 years. I've cut open hundreds of oil filters to inspect for metal as part of a normal PM service.

Believe me, there is a difference in the quality of oil filters out there. The Caterpillar filters were definitely superior to many of the other brands out there. I didn't say all but many.

I do run K&N filters on two of my engines but not on my bike (yet). I have personally cut open the HD filter and it is a quality filter. I have not yet cut open a K&N but would like to one of these days.

So, I offer that if you are interested in trying K&N filters, buy one and cut it open and see for yourself what it looks like inside.

Take care,
Dave

Back