free website stats program oil filter failure | Harley Davidson Forums

oil filter failure

00BUCKSHOT

noticed my oil light would flicker at me at start up kinda like it does after an oil change but after i rode the bike i could shut it down re-start no oil light....talked it over with glider and decided the oil filter should be the first place to look so i changed it last night started the bike let it get hot shut it down went to bed started it this after noon and no oil light flicker so if any of you are running K&N oil fliters i highly recomend switching to an H-D the anti drain back valve was not working at all on mine

The HD filters IMO are the best way to go on these motors. The specs on the filters are made for the motor, not "close" like others are.

Glad you got it straightened out.

Buckshot...good catch on that filter. Just reminds us that when you modify something, try to do it in stages if possible, so if there is a problem, you can find it a lot easier than changing a lot of things and trying to sort everything out (another reason why I start my work on Friday night after work), so I have 2 days to do additional trips to the dealer, trouble mitigation, or return things I do not need, while keeping my one ride running come Monday morning. :s

Quite surprising that someone cant make a oil filter that works not liek they are somthing new

Thanks for this tip.....On my last oil change I put a K&N filter.......better change it out, I'm about due for another oil change anyway.

Quite surprising that someone cant make a oil filter that works not liek they are somthing new

yea one would think a $17 oil filter would do its job i've allways used H-D filters the only reason it was on there was because i'd had it for awhile and figured ehh i'll go ahead and use it to get rid of it.....looking back....i should have put it on e-bay

Just me being a little "old fashioned" but if something works, I generally stick with it...and the HD filter being "only" $9.95 is a bargain as far as a "vital" consummable is something I would stick with AND in CHROME...such a deal?!!!:D

I'm useing HI-FLO filters,not especially cheap niether.Am I wrong?

I agree with Glider on this. I think that the HD filters for use on the TCs are the way to go. On the older bikes (EVOs and earlier), other quality filters may be fine. But the 5 micron spec is tough. I have not found out who makes those for HD, and if they can be purchased directly.

TQ

Thanks for this tip.....On my last oil change I put a K&N filter.......better change it out, I'm about due for another oil change anyway.

I have used K&N's on several bikes without any issues. I've worked on enough machines to know that you're going to get bad "new" parts every now and then. I also know from experiance that a bad new part will mess with your head while trying to troubleshoot the problem.

K&N is a reputable company, I'll stick with them untill I see a trend.

I agree with Glider on this. I think that the HD filters for use on the TCs are the way to go. On the older bikes (EVOs and earlier), other quality filters may be fine. But the 5 micron spec is tough. I have not found out who makes those for HD, and if they can be purchased directly.

TQ

Now that would be interesting to find out, especailly if you could get them cheaper because they are not in an HD box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back