free website stats program oil coolers | Harley Davidson Forums

oil coolers

Thinking of putting an oil cooler on my 05 RK. Has any one had any experience with this, is any kind preferable and dose it really make a difference in the heat of the bike?

Thinking of putting an oil cooler on my 05 RK. Has any one had any experience with this, is any kind preferable and dose it really make a difference in the heat of the bike?

Absolutely it will lower your temps. How much depends on type of cooler you install, primary type of riding you do, whether you already have a fuel tuner, etc.

Is it necessary? I'm not convinced that everyone should have one but if it gives you any additional peace of mind, then it's well worth it for you.

Do it; Jagg is as good as any and a cooler does make a difference; tuner or not. It certainly can't hurt and it is one of those accessories that is better to have and not need it that to need it and not have it.

I went the XiED route. Most that can measure temps claim up to 35 drop in engine oil temps. I do notice the difference in smoothness, but fuel mileage will undoubtedly drop. I like the feel of the richer fuel mixture. :)

Have a HD oil cooler on my '99 Ultra. It definitely lowers the oil temp. Installation is not rocket science, but can be a pain as space is limited , unless you want to start taking stuff off. Took me about an hour. Decent unit, cost me about $250 which included a chrome cover. Bought it online from a HD dealer that advertised.

I went the XiED route. Most that can measure temps claim up to 35 drop in engine oil temps. I do notice the difference in smoothness, but fuel mileage will undoubtedly drop. I like the feel of the richer fuel mixture. :)

The XiEDs won't help you in heavy traffic; they only work at cruise or steady light load. When in slow traffic or at idle, the engine is in open loop mode at 14.7 Add an oil cooler to help out when the engine is not in closed loop mode and the XiEDs have kicked in. Just a little more heat defense; can only help.

I have a HD oil cooler with the thermostat it works fine & looks better than the Jaggs setup IMO & the HD cooler cost less than a Jagg cooler setup. They may make them but I could not find a Jagg oil cooler kit so you have to buy the cooler then you have to get the oil filter adapter . Jaggs makes 2 adapters one with & one without the thermostat . The HD kit has all the hardware & mold hoses & everything fits & looks as it if it belong where it is mounted .

I agree, the Jagg site shows the cooler, the adapter, and a anti-rotation device? The HD set-up looks simpler.

One of the biggest things regardless of which model you choose is the added oil volume. It's not much but every little bit helps spread the heat stress out.

Back