free website stats program Oil Cooler Only does so much | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler Only does so much

Jim B.

Got a lesson in hot weather today. I rode inland about 25 miles from the central coast of California and hit temperatures of 105 degrees. Also got stuck with a group of fellow riders at a malfunctioning traffic signal and had to sit through 3 cycles of the light before we turned against the red when the traffic was clear. After going down the road for a few miles after turning at the signal, I pulled over and checked the oil temp. 255 degrees!!! And that's with an oil cooler. I'm running full synthetic but i expected better performance from the oil cooler. I guess it can only do so much even if you are moving.

Oil cooler is doing it's job even when at a stand still, remember there are internal "vane like fins" inside the tubes that provide more surface area and turbulance cooling the oil...maybe 250 degress at the oil, but imagine 105 deg on the external part of the tubes out to the ambient air. 145 degree differences is still major cooling going on, and also you do not know the calibration of your guage (check it in rapid boiling water...should read 212 degrees), so check it to be sure. I suspect your guage may be reading a little high.

Oil cooler is doing it's job even when at a stand still, remember there are internal "vane like fins" inside the tubes that provide more surface area and turbulance cooling the oil...maybe 250 degress at the oil, but imagine 105 deg on the external part of the tubes out to the ambient air. 145 degree differences is still major cooling going on, and also you do not know the calibration of your guage (check it in rapid boiling water...should read 212 degrees), so check it to be sure. I suspect your guage may be reading a little high.

Did the rapidly boiling water test. Yep, gauge is reading about 8 degrees higher than it should. I suppose 8 degrees isn't a big deal but it makes me wonder if they check these things at the factory before they send them out?

Jim, you got a taste of what it like to live in Bakersfield. You live in the destination that many of us take to get out of this heat.
I was going to add a oil cooler to my scoot. I decided to try the XiED method.
I figured if richening up the fuel a bit didn't work, then I could always install a cooler.
I am satisfied with them. I rode Saturday morning and when I got home the thermometer was reading 103. I don't have a way to test my engine temp, but the exhaust is definitely cooler. I can tell that, and the cooling of the ticking sound of my V&H pipes takes way less time to quit making noise. The performance is better and no surging. I use mobil 1 synthetic oil also.
Yes, if they mandate motorcycle smog inspection, I will have to remove them, but I will also have to change my pipes to stock too. I have my fingers crossed that it won't happen, because I don't have the stock exhaust any more.

Jim, you got a taste of what it like to live in Bakersfield. You live in the destination that many of us take to get out of this heat.
I was going to add a oil cooler to my scoot. I decided to try the XiED method.
I figured if richening up the fuel a bit didn't work, then I could always install a cooler.
I am satisfied with them. I rode Saturday morning and when I got home the thermometer was reading 103. I don't have a way to test my engine temp, but the exhaust is definitely cooler. I can tell that, and the cooling of the ticking sound of my V&H pipes takes way less time to quit making noise. The performance is better and no surging. I use mobil 1 synthetic oil also.
Yes, if they mandate motorcycle smog inspection, I will have to remove them, but I will also have to change my pipes to stock too. I have my fingers crossed that it won't happen, because I don't have the stock exhaust any more.

RickyBobby, the next time you feel a need for the cooling coastal breezes, send me a PM (edit)] and we can go for a ride together. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim B. I will sure do that. It has been a bit since I was over that way. I missed a ride with a bunch of pards to the deal at the Santa Maria Fairgrounds and I am due for a break from the heat. I love Lompoc too. I have been known to use Pismo Clams as an excuse to ride over there to 101 and PCH. :)

Hey RickyBobby if you make it out to the coastal portion of SoCal go a bit on Highway One to Neptunes...great seafood and bike hangout and work the Rock Store into your ride...great twisty roads out here to test your mettle and take it cool...the coastal air conditioning is a nice rush. JimB can attest to the nice cool weather we are used to here.

Last edited:
Did the rapidly boiling water test. Yep, gauge is reading about 8 degrees higher than it should. I suppose 8 degrees isn't a big deal but it makes me wonder if they check these things at the factory before they send them out?

That 8 degree difference is less than 4 percent error. More than acceptable for that gauge.

That 8 degree difference is less than 4 percent error. More than acceptable for that gauge.

I ran the first boiling water test in a shallow pan and I think that the thermometer picked some of the heat from the flame under the pan. I therefore tried it again by pouring boiling water into a tall pre-heated glass. The gauge read 212 degrees which is probably accurate within 2 to 4 degrees since taking the pan off the stove stops the boiling and the pouring probably takes away another degree or two. So, the error is probably closer to 3 to 5 degrees instead of the original 8 degrees. That's close enough for me.

I ran the first boiling water test in a shallow pan and I think that the thermometer picked some of the heat from the flame under the pan. I therefore tried it again by pouring boiling water into a tall pre-heated glass. The gauge read 212 degrees which is probably accurate within 2 to 4 degrees since taking the pan off the stove stops the boiling and the pouring probably takes away another degree or two. So, the error is probably closer to 3 to 5 degrees instead of the original 8 degrees. That's close enough for me.

Probably closer than you think. The water won't come down from 212 as quick as you think just because it stopped boiling. All kinds of neat engineering reasons which I won't go in to now. I have a habit of boring people with this stuff LOL

Back