free website stats program Oil Cooler for DYNA | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler for DYNA

shrini23

Some expert advice needed on purchasing an oil cooler kit for my dyna bike.

I live in Seattle where the temp usually doesnt reach more 90s even in summer but said that I'm planning to move to India on job relocation and my 2009 FXDC is also moving with me...The temp pretty much around the year is gonna be in upper 100°F or (upper 30°C).

I've been looking at the oil cooler kit at my nearby dealership and HD site says like this

"Premium Oil Cooler Kit for Dyna® Models

This cooler was designed specifically for Harley-Davidson® to out-perform all other coolers in the industry. This cooler features a unique "Turbulator" system that evenly distributes oil across the cooling chambers. The air fins are designed to efficiently dissipate heat. This popular Touring oil cooler has been re-designed to simplify installation and enhance performance. The larger heat exchanger provides additional cooling efficiency. Kit features an adapter plate with integrated thermostat that allows oil lines to connect to the oil filter bracket. The thermostat activates at 185°F (85°C). Kit comes complete with mounting hardware and precut oil lines. Kit includes Chrome Oil Cooler Cover."

Simple question to the experts here...Is it worth installing the oil cooler kit as I'm gonna live pretty much in 100+ degree all year around (The description kinda threw me off bcoz the HD site says the thermostat activates at 185°)

Currently i do have the chin spoiler on my bike is it worth removing my chin spoiler to put this oil cooler kit?

I like the Dyna kit that comes complete w/ mtg hdwr, hoses, clamps, and oil filter adapter w/ thermostat. These mount high up in between frame downtubes Oil Cooler Kit (p/n 26157-07) to not catch as much road grime, in either chrome trim or without,

1929d1231273128-oil_coolers-premium_oil_cooler_kit.gif

like the one Eleft36 has on his softtail, less the *bling* HD has a chrome logo trim cover to dress it up a bit...

3819d1247778927-hd_oil_cooler_without_the_chrome_cover-w_flash2.jpg

The oil filter adapter has a built in thermostat that begins to open at around 180-190 degrees F, so you do not have "overcooling" problems.

Last edited:
The description kinda threw me off bcoz the HD site says the thermostat activates at 185°

Sounds about right. The valve cracks at 185. It's not full flow at 185.. You would not want it lower than 185 because you would never get ride of the water & unwanted "lights" in the oil.

It does sound like a very nice cooler! Riding in upper 100 degree weather is Hot. At least for me.

I like the Dyna kit that comes complete w/ mtg hdwr, hoses, clamps, and oil filter adapter w/ thermostat. These mount high up in between frame downtubes Oil Cooler Kit (p/n 26157-07) to not catch as much road grime, in either chrome trim or without,

I do like the one you've mentioned but it seems its only for a softail :small3d007: and I have a dyna so it aint gonna work on my cycle

Simple question to the experts here...Is it worth installing the oil cooler kit as I'm gonna live pretty much in 100+ degree all year around (The description kinda threw me off bcoz the HD site says the thermostat activates at 185°)

thats oil temperature that activates the thermostat and not the air temp

Brian

Brian

That 185* is when the thermostat opens to cool the oil. Normal oil temps in a hot area could run upwards of 250* in the oil and hotter inside the engine so it would help but I would first check the temps of the oil in your bike to see if it would be worthwhile before installing the cooler. Couldn't hurt in any event.

Back