free website stats program Oil Consumption | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Consumption

mc2

Contributor
At 10,000 miles my friend changed oil on his 08 883 Sporty. At 12,000 he had to add 800 ml. The plugs are normal color and condition. Ridding has been in town and over the road. Is this still breakin in, or is there a problem?
Thanks.

At 10,000 miles my friend changed oil on his 08 883 Sporty. At 12,000 he had to add 800 ml. The plugs are normal color and condition. Ridding has been in town and over the road. Is this still breakin in, or is there a problem?
Thanks.

If it has not HAD to have oil added before and JUST started being low at 12000 miles?

REMEMBER bike sits and OIL DRAINS down into sump area of motor.....I don't CARE who will say different...........MINE: my 1200 2006 sport DOES THIS...

I find it hard to believe there being a problem using oil so quickly and no signs of USE and tell tail signs left behind..,,,

THE PROBLEM might be on WAS IT LOW IN THE FIRST PLACE and ONLY ONE TIME NEEDED OIL ADDED..... CHECKED again AFTER RAN to see where level is?

WE have BEAT this DEAD HORSE many a time here on.....

THE problem as you explained PROBABLY IS NOT A PROBLEM.....

HERE WE GO AGAIN:

was the bike started for a couple of minutes BEFORE CHECKING,
WAS the bike warm (DRIVING TEMP.)?
was the bike leaning on the kickstand?,
is the dip stick the same one used LAST TIME IT CHECKED OKAY,,,
were their any work or mods on the engine since last change??
Was it the same make oil filter and same size used as on this last change,,,
IS he using the same oil??
could there be a small seepage around drain plug or filter
IS THERE ANY OIL ON THE PARK AREA?
could it have been LOW to start with and not noticed from LAST OIL CHANGE?
HOW OFTEN does the person CHECK OIL LEVEL?
was it ran the same way the last 2000 miles
what were the heat range differences in the weather if any
was the bike driven differently ,SPEED,rpm range,terrain,hills

WAS IT RAN THEN OIL CHECKED AGAIN to make sure it was NOT over filled?

these are a few QUESTIONS that have to be implied or asked before I COULD give MAYBE the RIGHT ANSWER....

all the above checked out and still CONSIDERED LOW FROM THE START....

WAIT, running another 2000 miles watching for smoke the TELL TAIL signs of oil usage.

test the static compression with a compression gauge

while riding DOWN a hill: leave compression slow bike for a long distance , watch exhaust to see if smoke appears on throttle opening...

IF BIKE USES 800ML ON THE NEXT 2000 HE HAS A PROBLEM STARTED!!
that is 3/4 qt... LOOKING at the measuring cup to convert (close)

Then the fun begins all over again on WHATS IS WRONG WITH THE BIKE....

I WOULD GO WITH not run before checked(over filled)(or just LOW from before NOT enough oil added on last change)--- my sport will show 1/2 to 3/4 qt low just sitting in no time at all (day)

really HOPE THE problem is a simple one....

TRY OUT the ?s above and HOPE it is FOUND in one of THEM.....

USUALLY questions come EASY and ANSWERS come HARD...

good luck and please(PLEASE) POST BACK , this was a lot of work (yet fun) to post....
and the sun is out today BUT com'n off of 18* last night. no riding yet

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,
Thanks for all your time with this. To reply: Just met this new Bro who is giving me a place to call home while I am inbetween jobs in Nam. "International Brotherhood"!
Have learned he recently tightend his rocker cover gaskets, which were leaking more than they are now. The leak is now down to a seep! This could very well have been the 'problem' and am ordering new gaskets.
Great web site. Thanks again.

Back