free website stats program Oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil change

Hello, my 2008 XLN is going into the shop to have the Primary, Derby, sprocket and cam covers re-powder coated in black and I will be having the transmission and enging oil replaced. Is it okay to put Amsoil 20W50 in both? I hear it is but I want to confirm. Also if anyone has had powder coating done, I would like some advice on the finish, like Wrinkle or black matt powder coat. I am going with black. Thank you for and advice.

David

Hello, my 2008 XLN is going into the shop to have the Primary, Derby, sprocket and cam covers re-powder coated in black and I will be having the transmission and enging oil replaced. Is it okay to put Amsoil 20W50 in both? I hear it is but I want to confirm. Also if anyone has had powder coating done, I would like some advice on the finish, like Wrinkle or black matt powder coat. I am going with black. Thank you for and advice.

David

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community have a read here it may help

There was a thread on a few days ago about powder coating. If you use the search forum box in the top right hand corner and type in powder coating I'm sure you'll get all your questions answered.

My mechanic really pushes Amsoil so I was wondering why Amsoil recommends 20W50 in both the Engine and transmission whereas Spectro recommends 20W50 in the engine and 85W in the transmission. If anyone out there has used Amsoil, please chime in. Thank you.

David

Sportster has the gearbox and primary as a combined unit and uses a thinner oil for that reason the thicker oil is for a separate gearbox as is fitted in the big twins

Brian

My mechanic really pushes Amsoil so I was wondering why Amsoil recommends 20W50 in both the Engine and transmission whereas Spectro recommends 20W50 in the engine and 85W in the transmission. If anyone out there has used Amsoil, please chime in. Thank you.

David

Use Primary Gear Oil such as Spectrol, it is safe for use with oil wetted clutch (no friction modifiers to cause long term clutch slip or premature wet clutch failure), yet provide EP gear oil protection. Even HD Formula + would be a better application here.

Synthetic 20W/50 Engine oils have zinc or other friction modifiers, bad news for long term clutch life. But as Smitty901 says, your ride you decide...don't want you to come back about a year from now asking how to change out a clutch...even Metric high performance big bore multi-cylinder sportbikes that have tranny-primary-clutch AND engine do not recommend 100% Synthetic...and all is lubricated by dino motor oil as a compromise...only it has to be MA or MB rated (motorcycle oil rating).

Okay, so it sounds like I should use the following:

Spectro 20W50 Platimum Heavy Duty FULL Synthetic in the engine.
Spectro GL-1 or GL5 Primary gear oil.

My question is for the Sportster, should I use a GL-1 or is a GL-5 better. I only want to use the what is best so a straight recommendation is appreciated. Also, it seem that is is recommended that a non-synthetic blend be used in the transmission. If you could possibly provide the exact Spectro part numbers I sould use for both the engine and transmission, I would greatly appreciate that. Thank you kindly.

David

GL-1 is fine, GL-5 is not better, and may have the dreaded friction modifiers you are trying to avoid. Check the label to be sure, but I would use Spectrol Primary Chain Case lube (safe for Sportsters right on the label) from Bob's (Internet sales) or the cheaper Formula + which can be had at your local HD dealer (only 1 quart or so is all you really need).

Spectro Oils of America - Transmission & Gear Oils

Last edited:
Back