free website stats program Oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil change

conchman

How many quarts of oil to change, with new filter for 2008 FLHX Street Glide?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not go by that method. Since it is a dry sump system, you never drain all the old oil out during a change.. I just add fresh oil until the stick reads the proper level when HOT while on the Jiffy stand.

If you go by a "measured amount", most times you will come up with an "overfill". That will almost always sludge up your IAC stepper motor.

I have a 2008 FLHR. When I do an oil and filter change, I start with 3 1/2 quarts. Next time the motor is hot, I check the oil and add if necessary. I like to run mine a little below the full mark to avoid the oil in the air filter.

I noticed the same thing as Troy. When I do my oil & filter I add 3 Qt's then warm the bike up, short ride, then fill to just below the hot fill mark and I do not get as much oil in the airfilter as I did by my previous method of adding the recommended amount all at once. Don't know why it works but for me it does.

As w/others, I usually have 4qts available b/c the actual amount changes from each service. Should be ~3.5 quarts on average...

Back