free website stats program oil change tools,08 heritage | Harley Davidson Forums

oil change tools,08 heritage

tlg1100

Long story short,went to friends while on vacation and rode a lot more then I thought I would.Now I want to change oil in motor primary and trans and I only brought multi screwdriver thing and allen wrench for footpeg that came loose once,dealer about 50 miles away and I want to do it myself,buddys shop is about 10 miles away and has limited tools ,so I was wondering if someone can tell me what size of allen wrench fits drain plug for trans and motor(think they are same)and is the derby cover a t-25? and I have a socket allen wrench that fits trans fill but can't get anything on it any suggestions, can get regular allen wrench at shop didn't know what other people were doing to get clearence and anything else that might came in handy.Plan is to go to shop and get tools tonight than ride to dealer to get filter and fluids tomorrow,just getting what tools we can carry in bags and do it at his house.Thanks, trans fill got me concerned and they have ft lbs torqe wrench and in lbs wrench hope the dealer will tell me specs?

First off, good for you on wanting to do the service yourself. Second thing is I would invest in the Factory Service Manual while you are at the dealer. It will be a wise investment in the long run.

All (3) of the drain plugs for the Engine Oil, Transmission and Primary for your bike will be removed with a 5/8" socket. Here are a few pics showing the location of the Engine Oil Tank Drain Plug and also the Trans. Drain Plug which is between the shocks. The third pic showing a drain plug which is removed using an allen wrench. This plug you DO NOT want to remove. Doing so can possibly crack the engine case as it is held in by Lock-Tite and is not meant to be removed. I did not include a pic of the Primary Drain plug as it is easy to locate just below the Derby Cover with easy access. The screws on the Derby Cover are actualy a T-27 Torx. Easy to mistake and will likely strip out if a T-25 is used.

Make sure the dealer gives you new O-Rings for the drain plugs. The Torque Specs for all (3) drain plugs are 14-21 ft-lbs. Be EXTRA careful when installing the Trans. Drain Plug. It is easy to get crossthreaded because of its location between the shocks and it is threaded into aluminum making it even easier to strip out the threads.

Attachments

• Engine Oil Tank Drain Plug.jpg
    Engine Oil Tank Drain Plug.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 220
  • Trans Drain Plug.jpg
    Trans Drain Plug.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Do Not Remove Plug.jpg
    Do Not Remove Plug.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 207
I use a 1/4" allen socket for all three drain plugs. I use a 3/8" L shape ball end allen that is about 6" long to remove and install the trans oil filler. It allows you to angle the allen to reach the filler plug. If the o rings are not damaged you can reuse them without any problem, same with the derby cover gasket. If you think they might be bad replace them.

TripleJ has you covered on all the tools. I would like to add to his EXTRA care when installing the tranny drain plug so you don't cross thread it. The Harley tech cross threaded mine at the 1000 mile service. I've run a tap threw it a couple of oil changes and Friday when I changed oil again the plug would turn just with my fingers. I put a 1/4 inch pipe nipple in because it had 2 more threads and with lots of thread sealer it did seal but it's only a temporary fix because now I don't have a magnet on the drain like I want.

TripleJ has you covered on all the tools. I would like to add to his EXTRA care when installing the tranny drain plug so you don't cross thread it. The Harley tech cross threaded mine at the 1000 mile service. I've run a tap threw it a couple of oil changes and Friday when I changed oil again the plug would turn just with my fingers. I put a 1/4 inch pipe nipple in because it had 2 more threads and with lots of thread sealer it did seal but it's only a temporary fix because now I don't have a magnet on the drain like I want.

Funny you mention that geezer because that is EXACTLY what happened to me at the 1000 mile service and I had to repair mine using a timesert. That was when I decided, unless it was a warranty issue, I would be the only one wrenching on my scoot.

Thanks for all replys,I Was told by friend about using allen wrench to remove drain plugs,thats what he uses, nice to know about 5/8 socket ,Just got back and have torque wrench ,rack of 3/8 drive sockets and rack of torx 1/4 in drive and handful of allen wrenches and a rack of allen sockets,the allen wrench that fits trans is to long so might have to find something at auto parts store tomorrow.just hope I can get a ball end 3/8 allen to get trans fill like doctor doug suggested and a single one at that, have something at home that will work, and I order a manual online and starting to get nervous its been three weeks and they said two or three days but I've been away for ten days so hopefully it will be there soon....anyway thanks big help it nice to get some assurance before I do anything.

Funny you mention that geezer because that is EXACTLY what happened to me at the 1000 mile service and I had to repair mine using a timesert. That was when I decided, unless it was a warranty issue, I would be the only one wrenching on my scoot.

Just wanted the let forum to know that TripleJ generously offered to send me his timesert kit so I could fix the drain plug in my tranny. Talk about quality people on this forum. Tank is right when he calls this a great community. :D

Changed the tranny fluid on my '07 Heritage yesterday. I had to wrench the plug out all the way. It was tight, and I found the threads wrapped with Teflon tape. I had a difficult time getting it to thread right, not being able to see what I was doing, just using the Braille system. I think in the past, the dealer stripped about the first two threads, because that's about how far up into the hole the plug went before it started grabbing threads. I decided to put a little pipe dope on the threads partially because of that, and with the possibility of a fewer number of threads, I didn't want to tighten it too much. Mine does not use a tapered pipe plug thread, it's more of a fine thread without the taper. I think a tapered pipe thread would have been much easier for the average guy to deal with.

Changed the tranny fluid on my '07 Heritage yesterday. I had to wrench the plug out all the way. It was tight, and I found the threads wrapped with Teflon tape. I had a difficult time getting it to thread right, not being able to see what I was doing, just using the Braille system. I think in the past, the dealer stripped about the first two threads, because that's about how far up into the hole the plug went before it started grabbing threads. I decided to put a little pipe dope on the threads partially because of that, and with the possibility of a fewer number of threads, I didn't want to tighten it too much. Mine does not use a tapered pipe plug thread, it's more of a fine thread without the taper. I think a tapered pipe thread would have been much easier for the average guy to deal with.

You might want to talk to TripleJ or Geezer about their install of the timesert for the tranny drain plug. Sounds like yours was stripped by someone. Even if you got it this time, that soft metal does not deal well with repetative stress once it has been damaged.

TQ

You might want to talk to TripleJ or Geezer about their install of the timesert for the tranny drain plug. Sounds like yours was stripped by someone. Even if you got it this time, that soft metal does not deal well with repetative stress once it has been damaged.

TQ

And I'm the guy that likes to tighten stuff till it strips, then back off half a turn.

Back