free website stats program Oil Change question 06 Dyna WGEFI | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Change question 06 Dyna WGEFI

Bought my first bike this fall and am ready to perforn the service. I've been told I can use Lucas 20-50 in all three holes. Any thoughts or do I just stick with the HD lube? Thanks!

You could, but I wouldn't recommend either (20W50 in all or HD oil). Best to read the Self-Help section on oil (wealth of info) & use the 20W50 for engine. Need to put gear oil in tranny & the only HD oil I use is Formula+ in primary.

Enjoy working on the bike & you'll see the variety of oil recommendations - just choose what you think's best for your bike.

While I have used Lucas 20W-50 100% Synthetic Racing Oil Motorcycle oil in my Sporty with good resuts, engine runs cool and when changed, magnet is clean; but I would use a more appropriate Primary Gear Lube, like Spectrol Primary Chain, Tranny and Clutch Lube, as they are in the same hole...which is safe for oil wetted clutches). Came from old school metric sportbikes that used one lube for all and could not take advantage of 100% synthetics.

For your 3 hole Harley, why do you think they separated the different functions? Because their needs are different. Engine - extreme wide temperature extremes, combustion byproduct contamination and wide viscosity challenges; Tranny - constant temperature, extreme pressure, big potential for foaming; Primary Chain and Clutch - oil slinging, yet stick to slapping chain, clutch oil wetted but cannnot be too slippery...you do the math, research and decide. Go to the Self Help areas and POLLS of what our readers feel is best...there is certainly a trend there!

I used to run Lucas in all holes and switched over to Mobil 1 and I found the bike ran cooler and the oil lasted a lot longer

I use amsoil in the engine-formula+ in the primary and have mobil 1 in the tranny but will be putting spectro in it this spring.Everyone is differant on this subject-good luck.

The tranny grease makes a differance where you live. I live in Maine where it's not very hot so I run 75w-90 100% syn but if you live in the south you might want to run 75w-140 to take the heat better.

Engine oil - Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 20-50
Tranny - Royal Purple Max Gear 75-140
Primary - Harley Davidson Primary and Transmission Oil (not synthetic)

Use compartment specific oils for the best results like Mobil 1 VTwin for the engine, Spectro GEAR lube for the trans and Formula+ in the primary, NOT one oil fits all.

WAS IT YOU GLIDER? That said:

IF THEY WANTED TO USE ALL THE SAME OILS IN THE HARLEY, THEY WOULD OF ONLY MADE ONE HOLE TO PUT IT IN!

IF it wasn't I'm sure you AGREE.
signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back