free website stats program oil change howto for 09 Ultra Classic Where? | Harley Davidson Forums

oil change howto for 09 Ultra Classic Where?

planohog

I looked in the tech tips and did some searching but came up with nothing.
Anyone have a good howto for the 09 Ultra. Hopefully including torque values
for the drain plug.. ( heritage 2004 was 19ft/lbs ).
Thanks in advance --chino

Chino,

Redman here, I tried to send the manual to you with no luck...sorry about that. Like I said I am a computer idiot and the file attachment was still attaching 6 hours later so I gave up. Look in your regular owners manual..full description there....I make a aluminum foil cup or splash guard for when you change your oil filter...some cut a 1 liter soda bottle to suit this procedure....it will help you from gettin oil on surrounding areas while pullin off. Make sure you use the right filter as it require a filter for 96ci twinn cam...dealership...$8 or 9 bucks. Any probs just shoot a post. Red

.:s...also hit the self help tips under oil related tips ...always good stuff here and sometimes video how to from expert village...oil changes, clutch adjustments all sorts of good stuff...Its at the top of this page left hand side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have the Service Manual for your bike? I'm not talking about the Owner's Manual. If you're going to be doing ANY work on the bike yourself, you owe it to yourself to get the HD Service Manual!

The service manual is a MUST have for doing your own work. It's cheap when you consider the houry shop rate. It'll pay for itself the first time you do a service.

Engine oil drain plug torque 14 to 21 ft-lbs (19.0 to 28.5 Nm).
The manual and service manual say to initially add 3.3 litres (3.5 qts) but I've found that 3.0 litres initially and I've usually ended up with 3.2 litres bringing it to full when hot. I use Mobil 1 V-Twin syn.
Your quart is approx. 0.946 litres so you can do the math.
I've also found that what they say in the manuals for checking the cold level is not what I've experienced. For mine the cold level is approx. 1/4 inch or less below the Full mark.

Here's the service manual procedure as printed.

Twin Cam equipped vehicles require the premium oil filter (part No. 63798-99A Chrome or Part No. 63731-99A Black).

Refer to Table 1-1. OIl should be changed after the first 1000 miles (1600 kms) for a new engine and at regular intervals in normal service at warm or moderate temperatures.

1. Ride motorcycle until oil is at normal operating temperature. Turn engine off (I'd like to meet the idiot who trys to change his oil with the engine running)
2. Remove filler plug/dipstick.
3. See Figure 1-3. (Picture of the oil pan can be found under Oil thread- I think) Remove the oil drain plug (2). Do not remove hex plug (3) or transmission drain plug (1). Allow oil to drain completely.
4. Inspect the oil drain plug O-ring for cuts, tears or signs of deterioration. Replace as necessary.
5. See Figure 1-4. Remove the oil filter using OIL FILTER WRENCH (Part No. HD-42311) or OIL FILTER WRENCH (Part No. HD-44067A) and hand tools .. Do not use air tools.
6. Clean the oil filter mount flange of any old gasket material.
7. See Figure 1-5. Lubricate gasket with clean engine oil and install new oil filter on filter mount. Hand tighten oil filter 1/2 to 3/4 turn after gasket first contacts filter mounting surface. Do not use OIL FILTER WRENCH 9Part No. HD-42311) for oil filter installation.
8. Install engine oil drain plug and tighten to 14-21 ft-lbs (19.0-28.5Nm).
9. Initially add 3.5 quarts (3.3 litres) of engine oil.
10. Verify proper oil level. See 1.6 ENGINE OIL AND FILTER, Checking Oil Level.
a. Check engine oil level using COLD CHECK procedure.
b. Start engine and carefully check for oil leaks around drain plug and oil filter.
c. Check engine oil level using HOT CHECK procedure.

They do have a caution: Use Harley Davidson oil filter wrench for filter removal. This tool can prevent damage to crankshaft position sensor and or sensor cable.

With a search of this forum you'll be able to find other tips on how to remove the oil filter without dropping it all over the front of the bike. I'm still trying to get one to work for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you didnt have to pay...I am sorry I couldnt get it to you...I was thinking of printing it for you but it sounds as if you got her at last. Good luck!

Back