Oil change gasket kits

Discussion in 'Oil' started by Dan.1977P, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Dan.1977P

Dan.1977P Active Member

Where are folks getting their kits from online nowadays? Specifically an 06 softail

2. dolt

dolt Senior Member

What "kit" do you need to change oil.?:confused:

3. ThunderRogue

ThunderRogue Member

You mean the "O" ring for the drain plug? Filter comes with a new gasket. What are you referring to?

4. Dan.1977P

Dan.1977P Active Member

I should have been more clear. The gasket kit that has the o rings and gasket for the derby cover when changing all three oils.

5. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Experienced Member Contributor

I'm sure you could find them online somewhere but going to the dealer works for me.

6. flusher

flusher Active Member

I got my O-rings for my three drain plugs at NAPA.

7. coopernicus

coopernicus Senior Member Contributor

I got my o rings online. I got my derby gasket at dealer....they don't cost much.

8. dolt

dolt Senior Member

Don't need them. I have never replace the o-ring after many oil changes on either of my bikes and the derby cover gasket/o-ring can be reused several times. Of course, if either is damaged, replacement is a good idea.;)

9. ThunderRogue

ThunderRogue Member

J&P Cycles offers a fluid o-ring kit. But I get mine for the drain plugs from my local ACE Hardware. The clutch derby cover gasket in most cases can be used several times if it's the solid type with the silicone bead on it.

10. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Like Dolt suggests, I reuse mine all the time. I keep one derby cover on hand and you can buy a bag of orings for the drain plug form Amazon that may last you forever. No need to go to the dealer for either unless you like shoveling money to your dealer.