free website stats program Oil Change at 500 Miles | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Change at 500 Miles

lionsm53

Banned
I changed my oil on my new Street Glide at 100 miles like was suggested on this forum. I spoke to my buddy and he says that a friend of his works at Chicago HD and says that you should also drop it at 500 miles too.

I noticed that quite a bit of gunk acame out at the 100 mile change and was wondering what the consenus is on changing at 500 miles as well.
I guess it couldn't hurt, but I thought that I got quite a bit out at the 100 mile mark, and really didn't know if I'd accomplishing much as I think that most of the crud came out.

I will be for sure changing it at the 1000 mile mark, and maybe at 2000 mark go to synthetic in the crank.

It is recommended to change the tranny and primary to syn at the 1000 mile mark, such as spectro and mobil 1?

Why wait on the synthetics? Get good stuff in all 3 holes as soon as possible. It's cheap insurance for your bike!

I noticed that quite a bit of gunk acame out at the 100 mile change and was wondering what the consenus is on changing at 500 miles as well.
?

Gunk? I can't believe Gunk came out of your crankcase at 100 miles.

Hoop!

Hoop!

Ditto: there should have been no "gunk" at 100 miles. Should have been light brown and still relatively clear. Don't go overboard with the oil changes. It's not going to do anything but cost you money. Change it at 1000 miles. Put in a good synthetic (there are many good ones). Also change your primary and trans dope at 1000 miles. You will notice immediate improvement in the way the transmission sounds and operates. See the many good suggestions in the self-help section regarding oil selections.:s

Hoop!

First off why do you think that this site recommends to change the oil at 100 miles on a new bike?
Second; Have you ever had a brand new bike and changed the oil before what was recommended by the moco, and then looked at your oil or do you let someone else change your oil?
If not, then you really have no basis to form your opinion on.

So far this site has been dead on, and that's why it is recommended to change it at 100 miles.
Mototune recommends it at 20 miles.
S&S recommends it at 100, 250, 500, and 1000.

Yes, "gunk". It was clean oil but there were particles in the oil, probably some metal shavings, and metal preservatives or what ever is used in it.
I saved the oil and would send it to you if you like and you could have an anaylisis done on it.

Have you ever had a brand new bike and changed the oil before what was recommended by the moco, and then looked at your oil or do you let someone else change your oil?
If not, then you really have no basis to form your opinion on.

Chill. To answer your question, yes I always have drained the oil within a short period of time with every New engine I have had. I have even cut open every 1st oil filter to inspect the filter paper.
I am sure it is in the way I define the term Gunk. I miss-understood what you were saying. Gunk to me is sludge. I have never seen sludge come out of an engine with 100 miles on it.
I agree 100% with the recomended changes,
Please accept my apologies. I was not trying to insult your proceedures.

Hoop!

Not tryin' to be a nervous nellie, even though it appears so. Never had a new bike before and just trying to do what is right by my motor and new bike.

Back