free website stats program Oil Capacity Question '04 XL1200R | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Capacity Question '04 XL1200R

David-in-LA

I just bought a '04 XL1200R (my first HD) from a good friend who rarely used it (only 6k miles) and probably hadn't serviced it for quite some time. I decided to do the 5k service and changed the engine oil, filter, and changed the primary drive oil. The owner's manual says 3.6 quarts, less 4 fl oz for the filter. I found that when I put that much into the tank, the oil was right up at the top of the tank, completely covering the dip stick. My instinct is that this is too much oil, so I syphoned out approx 1qt and the level is now where it should be - just touching the bottom of the dipstick when cold. I haven't ridden the bike yet, and before I do so, I was hoping somebody might know if this is unusual. Is there a mistake in the manual? I am certain that I drained all the oil out, so I'm a little puzzled.

The owner's manual for my 07 which is a XL1200 lists 2.8 quarts minus 4 oz. already added to the filter. So I would say yes your manual may have a mistake, especially if the level is overfull as you indicated. Did you by chance measure the amount of oil you drained.

one thing to do prior to draining the oil is to run it a few minutes. This picks up any oil that has sumped,collected, in the bottom of the motor. Usually an XL is 3 qts. w/ filter. You can put in 2-2.5 qts then run and recheck. Top off if needed.
tourbox

The owner's manual for my 07 which is a XL1200 lists 2.8 quarts minus 4 oz. already added to the filter. So I would say yes your manual may have a mistake, especially if the level is overfull as you indicated. Did you by chance measure the amount of oil you drained.
Unfortunately I used the same drain bowl for the primary drive oil, so too late to check that. Good idea though.

one thing to do prior to draining the oil is to run it a few minutes. This picks up any oil that has sumped,collected, in the bottom of the motor. Usually an XL is 3 qts. w/ filter. You can put in 2-2.5 qts then run and recheck. Top off if needed.
tourbox
I took the bike for a 15 minute drive to get the oil up to temperature before the oil change. Hot oil drains more quickly that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reduce the oil level in the tank till you have just a prence of oil on the dipstick then take the bike for a run and once fully warmed up then check the oil level and top up as necessary
Dry sump systems have oil in the engine and you will not get a true reading of oil level untill the engine is fully warmed up

Brian

Reduce the oil level in the tank till you have just a prence of oil on the dipstick then take the bike for a run and once fully warmed up then check the oil level and top up as necessary
Dry sump systems have oil in the engine and you will not get a true reading of oil level untill the engine is fully warmed up

Brian
Thanks Brian. Today’s a good day for a warm up ride!

Back