free website stats program Oem or aftermarket battery? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oem or aftermarket battery?

I have a 05 roadster that needs a battery. I've heard that aftermarket batteries are not the exact dimensions as oem. My question is has anyone had any problems with aftermarket batteries?

There is roughly a $40 difference in price between the 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Oem or aftermarket?

Roadsterider; HD batteries are actually one of the best on market. Yes, there are cheaper that will work & I've had decent luck w/Drag Specialties batteries. Now - all I replace w/are HD b/c of the quality, accessability (don't have to order) & price. Can't beat it...

I am amazed when I hear of people getting 4,5 or 6 years of life on a Genuine HD battery. That is really surprising considering the vibration they are subject too. Shape, size, CCA & cost all take 2nd place to a batteries ability to withstand vibration. When it comes time for me, that's the one I will buy.

Don't go by "who makes the battery for HD". Motorola can make Walkie-Talkies for both the Military and Radio Shack. It does not mean they are the same.

Have to agree with most of those above...add to that on my 2004 Sportster there are NO aftermarket ones that fit, BESIDES the fact I have gotten about 7 years out of the current OEM one on my bike. Only now "just starting to show it's age"...after our colder (for us in SoCal anyway) 40*F evenings in the garage, sometimes when I hit the start button in the morning, the starter stalls for a bit and the headlight dims a lot, but it spins up just fine. Have been using the Deltran Battery Tender once a month overnight over the years...but know that I will be replacing my battery soon as a precautionary measure.

I bought one from j and p cycle once, biggest mistake i ever made, poor quality ended up getting a harley battery

Wish I can tell you the different but I'm still on the original one, it does shows sign of ages but stills going, my next replacement will be HD for sure.

If the battery that failed is OE and from 2005 you have just answered your own question.

I've had no problems with the J&P battery in the Lowrider or the Big Boar in the Fatboy. Fit just like the OEM.

Back