free website stats program Odd primary drive belt noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Odd primary drive belt noise

masterMize

First off hello folks!

I have an odd sound coming from behind the clutch basket (I believe the front sprocket of the belt system). I recently did a pretty good pressure wash of the scooter in that area and noticed after my initial ride after such when I was backing the scooter up in neutral and bike not running you hear the noise that is in the video. I originally thought that it was my starter gear stuck but its not.

Once this scoot cools down the sound will typically go away (usually what bearing and races do when their cold) when its hot its is louder than my old lady.

I also am having a hard time starting this bad boy when its hot, cold no not at all.

Any suggestions? My instinct is that its a bad IDS race or bearing.

Bike is a 2009 FLHX no modifications to tranny or engine other than a thundermax. Bike runs and shifts good, hear a whining noise sometimes when I'm scootin down the road in 5th gear doing about 65mph

Any direction or recommendations would be appreciated.

Its not my compensator btw, noise is definitely behind the clutch basket.

I also changed the primary oil 2 times and the noise is still there.

Rear wheel bearing seems to be good as well.

The chain is definitely not too tight, I'm trying to get my post count up so you can see a video.

The belt seems to be in spec as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
If not the compensator, how about chain tightness? Over-tight chain could cause issues when hot.

Front belt pulley nut can come loose it happened on my dyna broke the 2 bolts on the nut lock plate and the lock plate and the bolt heads were rattling about between the inner primary and the pulley
I think you need to pull the inner primary and investigate further

Brian

Front belt pulley nut can come loose it happened on my dyna broke the 2 bolts on the nut lock plate and the lock plate and the bolt heads were rattling about between the inner primary and the pulley
I think you need to pull the inner primary and investigate further

Brian

I had planned on taking her to a buddies house and doing such. The noise just started yesterday. When yours "broke" was there or total failure or were you still able to scoot along? Compete playing riding it there (20 min ride vs renting a trailer.
WAP.gif

It was on the bike the wife rides we were on our summer tour it was dropping oil at every stop she never said anything about any noise I was just investigating where the oil was coming from I got a wee bit of a shock when I pulled the inner primary
There was some dings and dents on the inner primary where the bolt heads and lock plate had been smacking around so some noise must have been made
I smoothed down the inner primary cover with a smooth grinding stone replaced the inner primary bearing new pulley nut lock plate and bolts
Clutch hub nut and pulley nut are reverse threads and you will need a special tool for the hub nut if needed

Brian

It was on the bike the wife rides we were on our summer tour it was dropping oil at every stop she never said anything about any noise I was just investigating where the oil was coming from I got a wee bit of a shock when I pulled the inner primary
There was some dings and dents on the inner primary where the bolt heads and lock plate had been smacking around so some noise must have been made
I smoothed down the inner primary cover with a smooth grinding stone replaced the inner primary bearing new pulley nut lock plate and bolts
Clutch hub nut and pulley nut are reverse threads and you will need a special tool for the hub nut if needed

Brian

I have no damage or wear inside my inner primary cover. I'm sure it's not a lose nut. It only make noise when bike is hot not when it's cold. I'm leaning towards the sprocket race.

Thoughts anyone?
WAP.gif

I have no damage or wear inside my inner primary cover. I'm sure it's not a lose nut. It only make noise when bike is hot not when it's cold. I'm leaning towards the sprocket race.

Thoughts anyone?
WAP.gif

If you don not have the inner primary off, you wont be able too tell if you have any damage or not. Sounds like the inner has to come off. The only other thing to check to see if the belt rides on the pulleys straight. Great thread not so long age on alignment. A quick search will surley bring it up.

Any damage would be between the inner primary and front pulley
If there is a bad bearing you would want to hope it is the inner primary bearing as it is fairly easy to replace but could also be the main drive bearing which supports the pulley or the mainshaft bearings which support the mainshaft where it goes through the main drive either of these would require the gearbox to be stripped to replace the bearings

Brian

Back