free website stats program "O" ring tire caps - be careful. | Harley Davidson Forums

"O" ring tire caps - be careful.

larryjmiller

One of the guys checked his tires the other day before he left home and they were right on. When he got to the departure point a few miles from his house we noticed his front tire was almost flat. Checked for nails, none.

Checked the cap on the tire valve stem and the "o" ring had become dislodged, became egg shaped and pushed the schrader valve open and he lost almost all of his air in his front tire. Problem was easy to fix and there's a gas station at the departure point.

So, check the "o" ring to make sure it's properly seated before screwing it back onto the valve stem.

I took the HD "o"ring caps off mine and screwed on a couple of nice knurled ones with a flat rubber gasket at the inside bottom of the cap.

Good tip, I always pitch plastic tire caps and install metal ones with o-ring and do check them when I air up the tire. Also may want to check that internally threaded tire valve element...it also can loosen up and leak.

Good tip, I always pitch plastic tire caps and install metal ones with o-ring and do check them when I air up the tire. Also may want to check that internally threaded tire valve element...it also can loosen up and leak.

Both good information. Thanks

Thanks for the valuable information - next time that I check the air I think that I will replace those things.

Back