free website stats program O-ring on oil plug need to be chemical resistant? | Harley Davidson Forums

O-ring on oil plug need to be chemical resistant?

trvlr

Trying to find a suitable o-ring from a source other than the HD shop, for use on the oil/tranny/primary drain plugs.

Advance had none, and the o-rings at Ace Hardware were "faucet" grade, and no one there could tell me if they were chemical resistant.

Just to clarify, I DO NEED a chemical tolerant o-ring correct? Would a faucet grade o-ring work? If that's a yes and a no...any suggestions on where to pick up the o-rings I need.... thanks y'all -

Yes they need to be oil resistant. You could go to autozone and get them, think they are made by Dorman. They sell a value pack with a bunch of different sizes for like $7 and may have individual ones behind the counter.

Just curious, why would you not buy from the dealer? They have a service kit for $5 that comes with 3 o-rings and a derby cover gasket.

Thanks for the link glider - I'll give that a go-over.

Purchased the service kit, but am yet to re-use the derby cover gasket, but have used the o-rings. Bought some individual's from HD as well, and was thinking they were more expensive than what they actually are. Just checked my receipt - and individual o-rings from HD were .95c - The o-rings at Ace were .69, so not that much a savings.

No Autozone in this two-horse town. Will need to hit the next town over - appreciate

You can also order a 5 pack on line from several sources. James gasket part number JGI11105. If you have any auto parts store close by they will likely have a box of dorman orings behind the counter.

I get my o-ring from HD !! You only need to replace them when they look bad . Don't worry about pennys get the right part for your bike .

I get my o-ring from HD !! You only need to replace them when they look bad . Don't worry about pennys get the right part for your bike .

Totally agree on this one. Why sweat the pennies when we think nothing of splashing $200.00 worth of chrome on our rides. The right part for pennies is no big deal in my book

Smitty when I first purchased o-rings and filters, for some reason I thought these rings were more expensive than they actually are - I bought 2 at .95 each which rung up to 1.80 - and thought these were 1.80 each - wrong on that account.. they just a buck a piece. I can live with that.

I'm probably overkill on my oil change routines - which had me think I'd find cheaper priced rings - but I'm doin 1500mi changes on primary and tranny and 3k on the crank. It's a quart each and peace of mind for me in dealing w/ plastic bearing retainers in the tranny and whatever else shortcuts the bean-counters at HD decided upon in their manufacturing process on this model. I'm not pony'ing up for the ESP which expires in August, so we'll just call it peace of mind.

Just put my 2nd change of oil using Spectro - crank and tranny looked pretty clean as far as metallic shavings on the plug - better than what I got off on the first change after my purchase from Harely and their setup service. Primary plug still had a pretty good buildup of metallic sludge on the plug. Same as before. Clutch plate wear. All that crap floating around in the oil - I'll give it a fresh change routinely and see if makes a difference. Will note that it was 3k between all fluid changes on this 2nd round -

and yea - spend a buck to save a penny when considering the costs of oil....yea, I get that :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back