free website stats program Noticed black soot inside pipes during slip-ons install? | Harley Davidson Forums

Noticed black soot inside pipes during slip-ons install?

martysnarf

I'm happy to report that my Stage 1 project to change out my airbox to the SE, add my Rinehart slip-ons, and adjust my TFI to the Stage 1 recommended config on my new 09 SG was a SUCCESS!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TIPS, HELP, AND RECOMMENDATIONS!! I used all of them, and I really appreciate all of your help!!!

When I removed my old mufflers, I noticed quite a bit of black soot inside the OEM header pipe on the right side. Not much at all on the left. I understand that's a sign of it running rich, and I assume that the reason that only one is black is because I remember reading somewhere on here that the new HD Touring exhaust config really only runs 1 of the pipes, and the other is more for show?? Not sure...

Regardless, my TFI was installed by the Dealer and set to the stock config. I put 350 miles on her that way, and today- made the change to the Stage 1, and altered the TFI to the recommended config for the Stage 1. I read on here somewhere that Rineharts cause the engine to need a bit more fuel, so I am hoping that the rich condition might go away?

Is this a cause for concern, and is this something I should monitor closely?

I also changed my oil today for the first time, and was warned about oil spillage onto the front engine mount when removing the filter; that oil can damage the mount. I saw on Expert Village that spraying brake cleaner all around up there will clean it off properly. I did that, and it looks fine now. It sizzled a bit b/c that whole area was pretty warm since I changed the oil warm like the Manual told me. Is using brake cleaner up there to clean all the spilled oil up what you guys would recommend?

All in all, I did OK and am quite pleased. The Rineharts are exactly what everyone on here described. They have a nice, deep, throaty growl, but you can BARELY hear them at highway speeds, which is nice- because I want to hear my tunes. I am quite pleased with them!

Thank you ALL again for all the help!!! :worthy

MartySnarf,

Congrats on doing your own maintenance...always rewarding to know it is done right!

I believe the two pipes are functional, but different tuning (diameter & restrictive baffle due to the rear cylinder exhaust is shorter than front cylinder...

As for oil spillage from the filter, use a cut liter plastic bottle bottom and use it as a drainage tray...oil can deteriorate rubber parts, and less oily mess to clean up. Try not to use spray solvent/cleaners all over as the overspray if not wiped up promptly, may leave visible "spots" painted surfaces...and don't forget after washing bike (no water above side covers) to use Glider's PLEDGE....

Last edited:
As for oil spillage from the filter, use a cut liter plastic bottle bottom and use it as a drainage tray...oil can deteriorate rubber parts, and spraying brakleen all over can "spot" painted surfaces...

Thanks man! With the cut liter bottle idea, wouldn't that just melt if I set it underneath the filter? That filter, and the whole area up there was HOT!!! I had a drain pan underneath the frame for this, and did it as carefully as I could, but some still leaked. If you meant to put the litre bottom on under the filter as I unscrewed it, I would think it would melt??

Thanks for the info, lemme know what you think!

The soot you found is pretty much normal on most Harleys. They will carbon up quite a bit in the pipes and tops of pistons even with the lean settings on some of the bikes now. Nothing to worry about.
Also remember the TFI recommended settings are a bit on the rich side and can be lowered just a bit, especially pot #2 (yellow)

As far as cleaning the oil, I use simple green in a spray bottle and rinse with some water, easier on the rubber mounts, I blow it dry then.

Oil Changing - Harley Davidson Community

No, it should be fine, check out the self help section and also look at Joy's Oil/Tranny change...lots of good stuff there!

GREAT ideas with the foil and makeshift spout!! AWESOME- THANKS!!

Also- thanks for the info about the soot, Glider. Good to know. My TFI is the funky new one with the colored lights instead of the screw-pots, but I finally figured it out. I'll ride her a bit more and see how she does, and lean it out a hair if I need to.

Thanks to ALL of you for the great responses. This place is THE BEST!! :D

the soot is fine ..and the left slip in stock form flows less than the right due to crossover

. My TFI is the funky new one with the colored lights instead of the screw-pots, but I finally figured it out.

Funky new one? Does it not have the screw pods at all?Do I need to check if there is a new one for my 09 Ultra? :52::52: Looking at their web site, it still shows the one with the screw pods for my 09 Ultra???

Last edited:
Funky new one? Does it not have the screw pods at all?Do I need to check if there is a new one for my 09 Ultra? :52::52: Looking at their web site, it still shows the one with the screw pods for my 09 Ultra???

there is a new one that doesnt use pots you can use either

Back