free website stats program Not a clunk, but annoying noise. | Harley Davidson Forums

Not a clunk, but annoying noise.

Dferr

I have an annoying noise coming from the front end of my 1998 Heritage. From the suspension I think. It's a creeking noise, or more like a spring noise as I push the front suspension up and down. I recently changed the fork oil using bel-ray 5w, but that didn't help. Any ideas what could cause this?

Have you checked the bolts on the front end for torque? Also checked the steering head and the lube in there?

Are you sure it's from the front end? I had a noise like that and it turned out to be the
seals on the rear shocks. It would make that noise sometimes when I would move the front forks or put the bike on the stand. I had a hard time figuring it out until I had the back tire off and noticed that the seals looked dry and stretched. Lubed them and all was quiet again. Just a thought as to something else to check. Good Luck!

I haven't checked the bolts for torque yet, I'll do that. I guess your talking about the trpple clamp bolts for the fork tubes?

I did grease the steering head and checked the fall away, that all seems good.

This noise I hear I'm pretty sure is coming from the front end. If I hold the front brake and slighty push on the front suspension I get this noise, kind of like and old rocking chair that needs to be oiled.

My 95 heratige nostalga makes the same noise. I have put it down to the springs in the front but have so far not changed them. I will soon.

It sounds like the same problem I had with Softail Deluxe. It turned out the noise came from where triple tree clamps onto the fork tubes. When I had the bike in for routine maintenance they adjusted the steering head without loosening the pinch bolts on the triple tree - this puts stress between the triple tree and fork tubes causing a annoying creaking noise when the suspension went up and down.

When I had the bike in for routine maintenance they adjusted the steering head without loosening the pinch bolts on the triple tree - this puts stress between the triple tree and fork tubes causing a annoying creaking noise when the suspension went up and down.

Yep, that will sure put stress on things. If I may ask, was that work done by an indy or dealership.?

Back