free website stats program Nostalgic Rails Crooked | Harley Davidson Forums

Nostalgic Rails Crooked

joker

I have a 2005 RKC and had the nostalgic rails on it. I recently changed the bags to hard bags, and also changed the bag rails. Both sets of rails after instalation have been crooked. They raise up towards the rear about 3/4". I've tried several things to straighten them out to no avail! Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a 2005 RKC and had the nostalgic rails on it. I recently changed the bags to hard bags, and also changed the bag rails. Both sets of rails after instalation have been crooked. They raise up towards the rear about 3/4". I've tried several things to straighten them out to no avail! Does anyone have any suggestions?

At one time I owned a '97 Roadking with a two tone paint job. This was before the RKC came out. I had the nostalgic lid rails which mounted on top of the lids. I also had the nostalgic bag rails that went around the side of the bag. If the later is what you are referring to???? I don't remember as such that they raised upward. However I do remember this. A lower portion of the bag was painted black the upper majority of the bag was the mystic green metallic. There was a pinstriping separating the two different colors. Getting to the point here: The chrome side bag rails and the paint line which separated this two colors did not run level with each other. Which I thought was rather distasteful although it seemed like both of these "straight" lines were level. It was one of those things that I noticed but nobody else ever noticed it or said anything about it at any rate.

You may have a defective item and if that is the case (if you can) take it back immediately and demand a replacement. The dealer I deal with would have no problem exchanging something like that. Hope this helps some.

At one time I owned a '97 Roadking with a two tone paint job. This was before the RKC came out. I had the nostalgic lid rails which mounted on top of the lids. I also had the nostalgic bag rails that went around the side of the bag. If the later is what you are referring to???? I don't remember as such that they raised upward. However I do remember this. A lower portion of the bag was painted black the upper majority of the bag was the mystic green metallic. There was a pinstriping separating the two different colors. Getting to the point here: The chrome side bag rails and the paint line which separated this two colors did not run level with each other. Which I thought was rather distasteful although it seemed like both of these "straight" lines were level. It was one of those things that I noticed but nobody else ever noticed it or said anything about it at any rate.

You may have a defective item and if that is the case (if you can) take it back immediately and demand a replacement. The dealer I deal with would have no problem exchanging something like that. Hope this helps some.
Thanks. The problem is that I had two sets on so far. One set for the leather covered bags, and one set for the hard bags. Both sets mounted the same way, with the back of the rails running uphill. You have to look to see it, but it does bother me.

You can vary the mounting angle by placing the rear mount tab either in front or behind the lower mounting point next to the fender and moving the forward point up or down accordingly on the rear crash bar. Maybe you have it placed improperly to begin with?

So placing the rail tabs in front or rear of the rear fender mount can change the angle of the rail. I'll check that as soon as I get off and get home. Thanks!!

Placing the rail tab behind the fender mount would move the front crash bar clamp down the tuber and visa versa. It's always bugged me too about the uneven rails on bikes.

Got mine back from the indy after a crash where the whole bike was painted. He had one of his "workers" install my rails. I have the electraglo rail lights and when installed, the back of the lights ate up my newly painted bags. Didn't take me long to adjust them. He refused to have them repainted. I no longer use him. Good luck with yours

Bubba

Back