free website stats program Noise when pushing bike backwards in neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

Noise when pushing bike backwards in neutral

puhi711

I have a 2008 Road King with 13k miles and I started to get a noise whenever I roll the bike backwards in neutral. It sounds like it coming from the transmission cover area, but could be from somewhere else. It sounds like a a loose chain on a sprocket and only happen in reverse when the bike is cold or hot. Just got the bike back from the dealer who had it on a dyno to install a Super Tuner for another problem all together. Thanks for any help on this issue.

One of the things you might want to look at is the drive belt - when you move the bike backwards the belt tracks inward towards the rear tire and sometimes rubs it - Are you running a stock size rear tire? I'm running a one size wider tire and it does that - but if that's the case I don't think I'd worry about it - as long as it only does it going backwards.

I would tend to think it would be the belt making the noise as it is only the belt and some of the gearbox that will be moving when the bike is in neutral

Brian

:bigsmiley12: Easy Fix- slap her in first and go for a ride?
Sorry, that was just too easy. Ha!

I have a noise when rollin back.........had my kid get on it and roll it back while I scampered around on all fours listening. ( what a sight). I get a tick,tick, tick, tick....only backwards, only nuetral. Indy and Dealer say Im just lookin for ways to spend money on nothing. 2 years later, about 20k more miles.........the tick was still there this morning.

Slapped her in first.........went for a ride.:newsmile071:

I would check the belt first followed by the brake pads. You did not say with or with out the engine running? It did not make this noise prior to the Dyno?

I have a 2008 Road King with 13k miles and I started to get a noise whenever I roll the bike backwards in neutral. It sounds like it coming from the transmission cover area, but could be from somewhere else. It sounds like a a loose chain on a sprocket and only happen in reverse when the bike is cold or hot. Just got the bike back from the dealer who had it on a dyno to install a Super Tuner for another problem all together. Thanks for any help on this issue.

When my Dyna had a belt guard on it, I could hardly push the bike backwards. Check to see that you are not getting some sort of interference from the belt guard that is just making noise in your case.

TQ

I notice the noise when the engine is off and can't hear it when it's running because of the engine and exhaust noise. I only noticed it after the dyno runs. I'm going to lift the bike and try rotating the rear wheel to see if I can see where the noise is coming from. Thanks everyone.

I notice the noise when the engine is off and can't hear it when it's running because of the engine and exhaust noise. I only noticed it after the dyno runs. I'm going to lift the bike and try rotating the rear wheel to see if I can see where the noise is coming from. Thanks everyone.

Please let everyone know what your final resolution is.

Back