free website stats program noise from right side of engine | Harley Davidson Forums

noise from right side of engine

ironmark

I am getting a noise from the right side of the engine, it seem to be coming from the inside the cam cover. I have 45K on the bike and I am thinking that it would be the cam chain tensioner but then again it may be the cam bearings. What would be the most common problem in this area? I do have good oil pressure and it is stable.

I am getting a noise from the right side of the engine, it seem to be coming from the inside the cam cover. I have 45K on the bike and I am thinking that it would be the cam chain tensioner but then again it may be the cam bearings. What would be the most common problem in this area? I do have good oil pressure and it is stable.

Your engine has the roller-chain configuration with hydraulic tensioners, so I am not as worried about that problem as with the spring-loaded tensioners on the older TCs. But it would be worth popping the cam cover and inspecting everything in there.

What kind of noise do you hear?

TQ

I is hard to describe the noise, it has a rattling metallic sound and it seem it is more noticeable when the bike is cold. At first I thought that the heat shield on the exhaust was loose but that was not the case, I have the extended warranty on the bike so it will go to the dealer for repairs. I am leaning towards the cam bearing being the problem.

You might also check the nuts that hold the header to the cylinder head for tightness.

I checked the exhaust system and everything is tight. The only thing that may be wrong with the exhaust would be a broken baffle and it moved up the pipe, I am thinking that the odds are pretty slim for that to happen.

I checked the exhaust system and everything is tight. The only thing that may be wrong with the exhaust would be a broken baffle and it moved up the pipe, I am thinking that the odds are pretty slim for that to happen.

IF not a LOOSE baffle,, sound travels ,, It might be a lifter... Are you stock in the Cams and pushrod department? of are they adjustable? Are those the Mods at the bottom of your signature line?

signed....BUBBIE

The bike has the SE103 big bore kit with the SE 255 cams. All HD parts and the work was done by a HD dealer. I have 45K on the bike the big bore kit was put in at 4K. The bike is still under the extended warranty so I don't get into the engine at all. I really don't have the facilities or tools to do major engine work.

The bike has the SE103 big bore kit with the SE 255 cams. All HD parts and the work was done by a HD dealer. I have 45K on the bike the big bore kit was put in at 4K. The bike is still under the extended warranty so I don't get into the engine at all. I really don't have the facilities or tools to do major engine work.

The reason I asked about the push-rods is IF they are adjustable it might adjust Out the noise... On my bike I have the se 255 cams and IF not adjusted really PRIMO,,, Like I did the First time, ,,, Noise does happen cold and Yes, goes away when warmed..

The last time I did the ALL out and back together, I do have a little More noise until warmed then the first time I did the final adjustment:17: and It is Strictly in the "Fine Adjustment" I did... It's NOT a bad sound but a noticeable one..

I'll loosen all again some day and IF LUCKY on the adjustment,, it will sound like the sewing machine it did the first LUCKY adjustment I did...:newsmile026:

signed....BUBBIE

Well I took the exhaust pipe off the right side everything was tight before I started to remove the pipe. There is nothing wrong with the exhaust pipe and there is nothing inside rattling. Took off the cam cover and everything looks great inside there, the cam chain tensioner looks brand new. That would mean the the noise would be coming from the oil pump or the cam bearings. I doubt that the oil pump is the problem because the oil pressure is normal and it holds steady. This is as far as I am going into the engine because I have the extended warranty, I am going to put the bike back together and take it in for repairs.

Well I took the exhaust pipe off the right side everything was tight before I started to remove the pipe. There is nothing wrong with the exhaust pipe and there is nothing inside rattling. Took off the cam cover and everything looks great inside there, the cam chain tensioner looks brand new. That would mean the the noise would be coming from the oil pump or the cam bearings. I doubt that the oil pump is the problem because the oil pressure is normal and it holds steady. This is as far as I am going into the engine because I have the extended warranty, I am going to put the bike back together and take it in for repairs.

So the tensioners, outer cam bearings (does your model have these, or do the shafts run in the plate as journal bearings?), chains all look OK from a visual inspection standpoint, right?

That makes me worry. The inner bearings. When the cams were done, were these upgraded from the INAs to the Torringtons?

If all that is OK, then no chance the sound is actually on the left in the Primary, right?

If definitely on the right, and everything above is OK, then the lifters are suspect as stated previously.

TQ

Back