free website stats program No wheel spacer inside rear wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

No wheel spacer inside rear wheel

While changing my tires this weekend on my 99 Electra Glide Classic, we noticed that the bearings were in need of replacement. While changing the bearings, we noticed that there was not a spacer in the rear wheel. The bike has 39000 miles, and I am not sure if there had ever been a rear bearing replacement before. The previous owner allways had the dealer service the bike. Does it sound far fetched that the factory did not put a spacer in the rear, or maybe the dealer forgot to replace it?

Are you meaning IN-side the wheel? (hub)
I show a Spacer IN-side my blow-up on a 00 dyna book. Is that what you are talking about... If you don't have a big book, maybe ask to see a blow-up from the parts counter guy..

I see spacers/washers on the outside and a long Sleeve inside between bearings.

bubbie

If we are talking about the spacer sleeve that is between the bearings in the hub no, the bike could not go 39,000 miles without it. The spacer is what sets the bearing end play. Spacers are available to add/subtract to get the proper play. Without the spacer, the proper axle torque would lock up the bearings and wheel.

Replaced front and back, front had the spacer sleeve, back did not. I ended up getting one for the back.

Both my bikes have a spacer: '91 Dyna, '03 UC.

Dumb question, but the spacer did not fall away inside the hub when you pulled the axle, right?

TQ

I am wondering are these the original wheels. My rear axle is a 3/4" and the 1" spacer will not fit in the hub bore.
kemo

Back