free website stats program No telling what my engine is? | Harley Davidson Forums

No telling what my engine is?

Barnicle

I just purchased a 2000 FLSTS. The engine was modified so how can I tell what has been done without pulling the motor apart?
This is what I see: large Mikuni carb, SE breather, V&H 2 into 1 exhaust, SE heads with manual compresion releases, SE ignition. This is what I hear: modified cam. This is what I feel: POWER. Definetly has large compresion because starter will not turn over engine well without the compresion releases depressed. I have researched but have yet to find out what I have. I suppose if HD did the modification it would register on a VIN check at the shop right? HELP!

I'd try and track down the last owner, if you bought it from a dealer they should have the info.

The only way to known is talk to who you bought the bike from. If not the original owner you will need to find that person.
You could have the VIN checked at the local Harley dealer, but I would not count on finding much..
Here is a good read that may also help:
Harley Davidson Community

If you have a Compression gauge set-up for a TC bike, Check the static compression.... IF 180/190 and your elevation is not over 7/800 feet above sea-level, you can be sure the Job is done right...:D

MORE than 180/190, that is why the PR valves...

How does it sound? No pinging? You know to NOT lug the motor, especially a Built one.. I had a 2000 FXDS built to the hilt.:D

Probably a 95" for sure... Your checking the compression will tell me more when you take it and post it Here...

I DOUBT that HD built it. Just used a good amount of HD products..

Man, so far you have a lot of $$$$ in parts if you had to buy new.:D:D

Did you get a good buy and how many miles on it?

signed....BUBBIE

Sounds like an 88 taken out to 95, that would explain the compression releases, does it ping? If not you should be OK

Thanks for the responses, I have not checked the compression but probably is good since starter drags if I do not use the compression releases. Motor is very strong and sounds great. I have not noticed any pinging. I rode it from Daytona to Virginia interstate 70-80 mph with not one issue. The thing screams. Plus the bike is emaculate. 30,000 miles on it when I bought it at $12000.

Back