free website stats program No stop lights( cruse control) | Harley Davidson Forums

No stop lights( cruse control)

I have a 95 tour glide ultra with no stop lights. All other lights are fine. Have checked, relay good switches good,wireing from cruse module good. all grounds are good from module back, circuits are intact. I seem to have power to the module but not out. Before I noticed I had no brake lights, I noticed that the cruse would drop out without hitting the brakes. Is it possible the module has failed? Anyone else had the problem?

Is it possable the brake lights are stuck on from the front switch not contacting the lever? If not they might be shorting to the cruise system some were? Probably if you fix the brake lights the cruise will start working. If they both went down at the same time it's a guess? The brake lights are a shut down saftey function of the cruise control.

Here's some Inoperative Diagnostics for the cruise, these are for 01 cruise but I think their the same. Hope they help.
To enter the diagnostic mode, turn the Ignition/Light Key Switch to the OFF position. Turn the fairing cap Cruise ON/OFF Switch to ON.

Push the handlebar mounted Cruise SET/RESUME Switch to SET. While holding the switch in this position, turn the Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION.The cruise engaged lamp will illuminate and remain on as long as the Cruise SET/RESUME switch is held in the SET position. If the cruise engaged lamp remains illuminated after the switch is released, then either the switch or related wiring is shorted.

Push the handlebar mounted Cruise SET/RESUME Switch to RESUME and hold in this position. The cruise engaged lamp will illuminate and remain on as long as the SET/RESUME Switch is held in the RESUME position. If the cruise engaged lamp does not illuminate at all, check for one or more of the following conditions: RESUME switch not wired correctly. Broken or pinched wire to RESUME switch or cruise module.

Next, turn the throttle grip tightly closed to check the throttle grip switch. The cruise engaged lamp should illuminate when the switch is closed and
should be extinguished when the throttle grip returns to its free position.
If the cruise engaged lamp does not illuminate at all, check for one or more of
the following conditions: Broken or pinched wire to throttle grip switch or cruise module.

Apply the brake hand lever. The cruise engaged lamp should illuminate and remain on until the brake is released. If the cruise engaged lamp does not illuminate at all, check for one or more of the following conditions: Front brake switch not wired correctly. Broken or pinched wire to front brake switch or cruise module. Front brake switch not working properly.

Press and hold the brake foot pedal for at least 5 seconds. The cruise engaged lamp should illuminate. After holding the foot brake for 5 seconds, the lamp will be extinguished. Release the brake switch and the cruise
module will momentarily pull the throttle open approximately 20%. This throttle
stroke is immediately aborted if the brake is applied. The cruise engaged lamp will not illuminate if any of the following conditions exist: Broken or pinched wire to rear brake switch or cruise control module. Rear brake switch not working properly. The throttle will not open if the following conditions exist:Cables not adjusted properly. Faulty cruise control module.

Roll the vehicle forward and backward greater than 5 mph to activate the vehicle speed signal in the speedometer. The cruise engaged lamp will flash on
and off indicating that the vehicle speed signal is wired properly and working correctly. The cruise engaged lamp will not illuminate if any of the following conditions exist: Vehicle speed signal not wired correctly. Broken or pinched wire to speedometer. Speedometer not working properly. Vehicle speed signal wiring disconnected.

Turn the fairing cap Cruise ON/OFF Switch to OFF and start the engine. The cruise engaged lamp flashes with tachometer input. The cruise engaged lamp does not flash with tachometer input.

To exit the diagnostic mode, just press the Cruise SET/RESUME Switch to the SET position. To restart or repeat the diagnostic sequence, exit the diagnostic mode and return to Step 1. Twice pressing the Cruise SET/RESUME Switch to the SET position is an alternative method of restarting the diagnostic sequence.

Do you have a service manual or schematic to work by? Here is a "generic" one to help, but it does not show the interlock link to the cruise control which as Chopper says a safety feature.

Wiringdiag.jpg

I would say that the stop/brake lamp problem is a symptom, the lack of cruise control is also a symptom. The common denominator is grounding, when you brake, the 12V that is sourced is switched to the brakeline wiring to the bulb to ground. The crusie control relies on that voltage/current to deactivate itself...so if current flows (due to a short to ground, it could cause both conditions. Look for common return sense line and you will likely find your problem...cut/abraded insulation or damaged connection and use a detailed schematic w/Digital Multi-Meter (DMM) $10 at Harbor Freight. I do not have cruise contro on my sporty, but did diagnostics throw any codes? Good luck...

Found a loose connector in the bottem of the speedo tac housing not apart but loose. Works fine now. Won't know about the cruse till spring.

Back