free website stats program no start | Harley Davidson Forums

no start

I have a 2005 Road King FLHRCI it set quit a bit due to an injury. i would start it occasionally and it would start right up. and then one morning it failed to start. I thought maybe it was out of fuel but after adding fuel it would crank but not start. I sprayed some carb cleaner in to clean the butterfly and it will start then die . I think that somewhere I am not getting fuel through. I suspect the quick disconnect pressure valve or the filter inside the console. but i hate to tear into it if perhaps i am missing something else. any suggestions out there ? i am confident that i can do all the work but don't want to jump off on a wild goose chase.
any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

When you turn on the ignition can you hear the fuel pump run? you should hear it energize for about 3 seconds then stop.

If it's energizing normally then chances are that's not the issue.
From your description it certainly sounds fuel related and the process of elimination begins.
You may want to start at the fuel filter as it sounds like something is restricting the flow of gas.
If you didn't use a fuel stabilizer while it was sitting for a long period of time that could contribute to your problem.

As I said, it becomes a process and you'll need to eliminate them 1 at a time.

Last edited:
If it's energizing normally then chances are that's not the issue.
From your description it certainly sounds fuel related and the process of elimination begins.
You may want to start at the fuel filter as it sounds like something is restricting the flow of gas.
If you didn't use a fuel stabilizer while it was sitting for a long period of time that could contribute to your problem.

As I said, it becomes a process and you'll need to eliminate them 1 at a time.
Ok that’s what I’m thinking. I’ll replace quick connect valve and filter under the dash

You should be able to check the convoluted fuel line for leaks if the level is low enough by looking into the tank with a light, cycle the switch on and see if fuel sprays from it.

Back