free website stats program No Start | Harley Davidson Forums

No Start

Hello All, The bike is a 1991 FXR evolution, Delkron cases, SS carb and a few mild upgrades. Replaced my ignition with a Daytona 1005 single fire. After reading posts about this ignition figured it was a decent one. The reason I replaced it was because the coil on my last one which was a screaming eagle was no good, or so I thought. The instructions say to set it up at first, static with #1 cylinder, mark centered in the timing hole. then turn the module(inside the cone) clockwise until the red light just goes out. Well I attempted to turn clockwise and light still wouldn't go out even when it was as far as the travel would let it. So I attempted to start it while slowly moving the module plate small increments at a time. While doing this all I got was backfires out of the intake/carb. Also oil was spewing out of the breather. I did a compression test on both cylinders and both were at 120. I used a spark tester on the sparkplug wires and both are sparking while cranking. It's getting fuel and the battery is fully charged. With the oil spewing out the breather makes me think it has something to do with the cam chest, only because the bike was running 2 day's earlier, or should I say running on what seemed like 1 cylinder. Before opening up the cam chest I figured maybe someone can give me some input on what should be done next. I'm an Auto tech. by trade but the V-twin world I'm still learning about and not sure how to approach a no start condition. Sorry for the long post and hope someone can help. Thank you for your time. Joe from Frisco:small3d012:

2 questions first. Did your new unit come with a Single fire coil? Which number is your Mode switch set on? If you are trying use the unit as Single Fire with a Dual fire coil it won't work unless you change your mode switch to #0 or 1. Wiring to the coil is different also.
tourbox

Yes it came with the single fire Daytona twin tech. It's a 3 pole coil and I have it wired both outer poles to each cylinder and center pole ignition. I have it set to 3 in the mode selector which says that it's multi spark? I'll try 0 or 1 and see if that helps. Thank you

If you have it on 3 that looks correct for Single fire with multi-spark enabled. Is the Blue wire set with the rear plug and pink to the front plug? The unit is in the nose cone with the dials up and nearly horizontal? If these ??'s seem silly because of your Auto Tech background, I apologize but to me they are necessary because I can't see what you have done up close personally. Are you still running the VOES? There is a Trouble Shooting section at the end of the Instruction Sheet, what are your results from that? If installed correctly it should work as they say,unless Defective, I seen that right out of the Box.
tourbox

ignition_figure_1.gif
Verify timing marks, it sure sounds like it is out of time

Back